LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
mking123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
xubuntu 8.04 Flash player not working in firefox


I've tried installing through the repositories and the adobe website. So far neither have worked.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
vasmakk
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Distribution: Debian Lenny, Ubuntu 9.04
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking123 View Post
I've tried installing through the repositories and the adobe website. So far neither have worked.
This is what i did to have flash-player in Debian. I hope it works for ubuntu too, since the two distros are similar, but I'm not sure... Proceed at your own risk.

1. Downloaded debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb
from http://ftp.mgts.by/debian-multimedia....10.16_all.deb

2. Installed the package with
sudo dpkg -i debian-multimedia-keyring_2008.10.16_all.deb

3. Added this line to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ lenny main

and updated the repository: sudo apt-get update

4. From the repository i installed the package
flashplayer-mozilla

I hope It wont cause any trouble to you, but some expert here may have a solution, especially for ubuntu

Vas

Last edited by vasmakk; 02-03-2009 at 04:38 PM.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
camphor
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora 14 / Slackware 13.1
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 20
Is it not working at all, or are you having sound problems but can see the video? It's a common issue with ALSA. But yeah, I would suggest the adobe package listed above as opposed to the debian or gnash ones.

Download the .deb and open it with the GDebi package manager, which should be installed by default. If it isn't, look for it in Add/Remove. Be sure to restart your browser afterwards!
 
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
mking123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by camphor View Post
Is it not working at all, or are you having sound problems but can see the video? It's a common issue with ALSA. But yeah, I would suggest the adobe package listed above as opposed to the debian or gnash ones.

Download the .deb and open it with the GDebi package manager, which should be installed by default. If it isn't, look for it in Add/Remove. Be sure to restart your browser afterwards!
It will install but firefox won't recognize it.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
camphor
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora 14 / Slackware 13.1
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking123 View Post
It will install but firefox won't recognize it.
Did it install to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins, or did it go to a mozilla directory? If the latter, firefox won't recognize it. Try this:

Code:
sudo mv /path/to/flash/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
That firefox installation directory is the same in almost every distro, so you shouldn't see any problems there. Good luck! =:0)

Last edited by camphor; 02-03-2009 at 04:53 PM.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
mking123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by camphor View Post
Did it install to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins, or did it go to a mozilla directory? If the latter, firefox won't recognize it. Try this:

Code:
sudo mv /path/to/flash/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
That firefox installation directory is the same in almost every distro, so you shouldn't see any problems there. Good luck! =:0)
the firefox directory in ubuntu is /usr/lib/firefox-3.05b5 (just realized this is the beta version not sure if that matters)

I put the plugin in the /usr/lib/firefox-addons folder because the folder in the /usr/lib/firefox-3.05b5 directory was a link to that.

still no luck.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
camphor
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora 14 / Slackware 13.1
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking123 View Post
the firefox directory in ubuntu is /usr/lib/firefox-3.05b5 (just realized this is the beta version not sure if that matters)

I put the plugin in the /usr/lib/firefox-addons folder because the folder in the /usr/lib/firefox-3.05b5 directory was a link to that.

still no luck.
That's definitely strange. I'm using Slackware, but have both a firefox and a firefox-3.05 directory. Try creating a folder called plugins in your firefox-3.05b5 directory and sticking it in there.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
mking123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by camphor View Post
That's definitely strange. I'm using Slackware, but have both a firefox and a firefox-3.05 directory. Try creating a folder called plugins in your firefox-3.05b5 directory and sticking it in there.
there is one but it's a link to the other folder so the plugin is already there.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
mking123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Ok so I downloaded the tar.gz from firefox.com and put it in the home folder, put the plugin into that folder and now it works if I run firefox from there.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
camphor
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora 14 / Slackware 13.1
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking123 View Post
Ok so I downloaded the tar.gz from firefox.com and put it in the home folder, put the plugin into that folder and now it works if I run firefox from there.
Well, that's good at least. It can be a little troublesome though if you're used to having your programs mostly in the same directories. I'd suggest keeping it there for now, as several of your already-installed programs will try to launch from the old directory, I think.
 
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
vasmakk
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Distribution: Debian Lenny, Ubuntu 9.04
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking123 View Post
Ok so I downloaded the tar.gz from firefox.com and put it in the home folder, put the plugin into that folder and now it works if I run firefox from there.
If you have a directory named /usr/lib/firefox-3.05b5/plugins/ then every file with an *.so extension (that means plugin) should load when firefox is started from anywhere!

Now! if that directory contains only symbolic links, then you should greate one of your own too...

Put your original *.so file at another directory, e.g. /etc/alternatives
and in the /usr/lib/firefox-3.05b/plugins/ directory create a link that points to that original file... It should work

Vas
 
Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
stratotak
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Today Debian . Tomorrow ..??
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 39
you dont need to create links..just put the .so into the plugin folder..when i install flash..all i do is download it from Adobe and copy the .so to the browser plugin folder in /usr/lib/..examples.
/usr/lib/mozila/plugins
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
/usr/lib/opera/plugins
if the firefox beta has a seperate folder in /usr/lib/ just copy it to its plugin folder..
there wont be a problem with multiple libflashplayer.so ..
Ive never had a problem doing it this way..and every browser i have used works with flash..epiphany,konquror,firefox/iceweasel,seamonkey/iceape..
maybe be over kill ..but flash will work
 
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
vasmakk
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Distribution: Debian Lenny, Ubuntu 9.04
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratotak View Post
you dont need to create links. just put the .so into the plugin folder. when i install flash..all i do is download it from Adobe and copy the .so to the browser plugin folder ...
Hi stratotak!

I have read somewhere, (and unfortunately, I don't remember where) that direct copy of *.so files into browser's directories, may cause your browser to crash in some cases. That's why I suggest to create links. But if you say that there is no problem ... you have tested it yourself and it also works ... I believe you!

PS Irrelevant! How do you guys make the "hand" appear at the down-right corner ?

Vas

Last edited by vasmakk; 02-04-2009 at 07:21 AM.
 
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
stratotak
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Today Debian . Tomorrow ..??
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 39
well..i havent had it crash on me..No more than it does on windows..I need flash to work right for my favorite site..
http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/
 
  


Reply

Tags
firefox, flash, xubuntu


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
firefox/flash player javb Linux - Newbie 27 10-16-2007 11:56 PM
Cannot get flash player for firefox darkone66669 Linux - Software 2 06-29-2007 06:36 PM
FLASH PLAYER 7 and FIREFOX kkiedrowski Linux - Software 4 03-22-2006 02:36 PM
Please help (can't get sound working with flash player and firefox in Mandriva 2006!) LaptopLinux Mandriva 1 12-07-2005 12:58 AM
firefox and flash player macleodjd Linux - Software 4 02-17-2004 05:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration