LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
liquidm
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2014
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile xfce distro for slow notebook


hello everyone! English is not my mother tongue - sorry for mistakes!

Im new to Linux, was using Joli OS (didnt even know that this is Linux =D ) then Elementary OS and Fedora.

I have Presario Compaq CQ57 notebook.

I need fast and good looking distro. I like listening to music and have many tabs open in browser and thats why Firefox runs very slow. I use Facebook, torrent downloader, read emails.. so Im not programmer or graphic designer.

I installed few distros and checked them as Live CD - Xubuntu, Linux mint xfce, Manjaro xfce, Elementary OS

1) Xubuntu - very simple and good looking, light distro. Didnt like that there are not many programs installed

2) Linux mint - good looking, many programs and preferences that I can tune. I have read comparison about Mint and Xubuntu - is it true that Xubuntu is much faster?

3) Manjaro - the best looking of 3 and many settings, but its Arch based.. will I have troubles installing? On YT one guy showed that with yaourt (not sure about spelling) its much easier to search and install progs than with software center..

4) Elementary OS - simple and good looking, not many progs..

PS stupid question - can I install deskbar as in Elementary OS for Manjaro?


Now Im running Windows 7
I installed it after Fedora 19, then tried to make dualboot with EasyBCD and now Fedora doesnt load.. but I can see this partition with Linux Live CD
 
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
hilyard
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Inland PNW
Distribution: Lite | siduction
Posts: 291

Rep: Reputation: 66
PCLinuxOS LXDE is what I would recommend for your hardware and requirements.

Welcome!
 
Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
I have Presario Compaq CQ57 notebook.
Doesnt really tell us much, there are a lot of CQ57 laptops.

The full model name would help more, it would be something like "CQ57-410US"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
I need fast and good looking distro. I like listening to music and have many tabs open in browser and thats why Firefox runs very slow. I use Facebook, torrent downloader, read emails.. so Im not programmer or graphic designer.
What do you call 'good looking'? In general, the heavier/prettier the GUI, the more RAM and CPU cycles it will eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
1) Xubuntu - very simple and good looking, light distro. Didnt like that there are not many programs installed
Installing programs is _very_ easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
2) Linux mint - good looking, many programs and preferences that I can tune. I have read comparison about Mint and Xubuntu - is it true that Xubuntu is much faster?
Some versions of xubuntu might be 'faster' than some versions of Mint. Some versions of xubuntu will be slower than some versions of mint.

Which version of mint (e.g. Mint 13 MATE) vs which version of xubuntu (e.g xubuntu 12.04)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
3) Manjaro - the best looking of 3 and many settings, but its Arch based.. will I have troubles installing?
Possibly, but thats not as annoying as breaking the system keeping it up to date. Which is almost certain to happen with arch and little or no experience.

If that would happen to you would depend on what version of manjaro you are using. Overall, its not worth the bother IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
On YT one guy showed that with yaourt (not sure about spelling) its much easier to search and install progs than with software center..
Maybe, but that is at best playing silly games. Yaourt is CLI, 'software centre' is GUI....you can use CLI with *buntus via apt-get or aptitude. Software centre is pretty awful anyway, if you want a package manager GUI with debian based systems (or the *buntus which are debian based) IMO use synaptic.

As far as CLI program installation, 'apt-get install packagename' isnt any harder or easier than 'yaourt packagename'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
4) Elementary OS - simple and good looking, not many progs..
Elementary OS 0.2, the 'current' version, is based on 'Ubuntu 13.04' which is end of life, out of support. Dont use it, or any other 'out of support' OS if you are going to connect to the internet.

*edit- turns out that its more likely to be based on 12.04, so it should still be supported....I dont really see the point of elementary myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
PS stupid question - can I install deskbar as in Elementary OS for Manjaro?
Possibly, and even if you cant you should be able to get something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
Now Im running Windows 7
I installed it after Fedora 19, then tried to make dualboot with EasyBCD and now Fedora doesnt load.. but I can see this partition with Linux Live CD
Becasue windows has overwritten GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader).

Reinstalling GRUB should let you boot to Fedora 19 and Win7.

Last edited by cascade9; 02-12-2014 at 02:40 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,136

Rep: Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157Reputation: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidm View Post
I like listening to music and have many tabs open in browser and thats why Firefox runs very slow. I use Facebook, torrent downloader, read emails.. so Im not programmer or graphic designer.
Firefox will run the same speed opening the same websites no matter which distro you choose.
 
Old 02-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
liquidm
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2014
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Doesnt really tell us much, there are a lot of CQ57 laptops.

The full model name would help more, it would be something like "CQ57-410US"
full model name is Presario Compaq 425SR, so what can u recommend now?


Quote:
What do you call 'good looking'? In general, the heavier/prettier the GUI, the more RAM and CPU cycles it will eat.
I meant nice icons and themes, wallpapers..



Quote:
Some versions of xubuntu might be 'faster' than some versions of Mint. Some versions of xubuntu will be slower than some versions of mint.

Which version of mint (e.g. Mint 13 MATE) vs which version of xubuntu (e.g xubuntu 12.04)


Quote:
Possibly, but thats not as annoying as breaking the system keeping it up to date. Which is almost certain to happen with arch and little or no experience.

If that would happen to you would depend on what version of manjaro you are using. Overall, its not worth the bother IMO.
THanks, then I will not consider installing Manjaro




Quote:
Elementary OS 0.2, the 'current' version, is based on 'Ubuntu 13.04' which is end of life, out of support. Dont use it, or any other 'out of support' OS if you are going to connect to the internet.
How can I find which distro is fresh or out dated?



Quote:
Becasue windwos has overwritten GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader).

Reinstalling GRUB should let you boot to Fedora 19 and Win7.
I liked Fedora but later I had errors with my video card drivers.. the display was blinking..



what do u think about Debian wheezy xfce?

and Bodhi Linux? is it good and stable?


big thanks all for your help!
 
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Ryanms3030
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Distribution: Debian, Mint, CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 261

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Look at Crunchbang. It's based on Debian with Openbox desktop and made to be lightweight. I've been using it on my laptop and it performs very well.
 
Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 15 , ChromeOS
Posts: 4,918
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137
Worth a look. I booted it on my wifes cq57 to prove a point.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...0/#post5109543
 
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
DavidMcCann
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: CentOS, Salix
Posts: 4,267

Rep: Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265
Your computer is more modern than this one, and this will run most distros. Things will always seem slow when running from the live disk: they are meant to see if the distro will work properly and whether you like it. Some are very slow indeed, compared to when they are on your hard drive. You certainly don't need a lightweight distro.

The live disk cannot have a lot of software, but once you've installed you can run the package manager and get many more programs downloaded.

For a beginner, I suggest Linux Mint: I've never heard of someone who installed it and really disliked it. Another good one is PCLinuxOS. That doesn't have versions: it's continually updated, so if you run the update tool once a week you never need to re-install. Both are less likely to be troublesome than Fedora.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Ryanms3030
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Distribution: Debian, Mint, CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 261

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
Your computer is more modern than this one, and this will run most distros. Things will always seem slow when running from the live disk: they are meant to see if the distro will work properly and whether you like it. Some are very slow indeed, compared to when they are on your hard drive. You certainly don't need a lightweight distro.

The live disk cannot have a lot of software, but once you've installed you can run the package manager and get many more programs downloaded.

For a beginner, I suggest Linux Mint: I've never heard of someone who installed it and really disliked it. Another good one is PCLinuxOS. That doesn't have versions: it's continually updated, so if you run the update tool once a week you never need to re-install. Both are less likely to be troublesome than Fedora.
I can also recommend Mint as a beginner. I used to have it installed on Asus Eee PC with an Atom processor. That computer could barely load Win 7 (which was installed from the manufacturer) but it was able to run Linux Mint with no noticeable performance problems. I currently have Linux Mint on my wife's computer. She is very new to Linux and she has had no complaints and she already likes it much more then Windows 7 which she had before
 
Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #10
liquidm
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2014
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
thanks guys for your support!

how to install Mint? I have partition for previous Fedora 33 GB and want to install on it.. I had an error - the file system is incorrect.. when was selecting it for Mint install
 
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 15 , ChromeOS
Posts: 4,918
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137Reputation: 2137
Quote:
how to install Mint?
http://www.tecmint.com/linux-mint-16...llation-guide/

Last edited by rokytnji; 02-13-2014 at 10:46 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a distro for my new notebook redmo0n Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 04-04-2010 10:46 AM
Xfce 4.6 Suspend and Hibernate Function does not work properly with my notebook. phys Slackware 2 03-09-2009 06:46 PM
Slow system clock in a notebook cedar Linux - General 4 03-30-2005 04:24 AM
Which distro to use on notebook? alex_knyaz Linux - Distributions 3 08-01-2003 04:01 AM
distro for my notebook? cxk Linux - Distributions 4 02-11-2002 06:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration