LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
XConfig Problem


I'm trying to get Linux Mandrake 6.1 to Run on an old 200 mhz system, when I go into setup under X Configuration it pci probes the card to be an Imagine 128v2 X server: I128, the monitor is an old At&t/NCR model #CDM4A3E, Since the monitor doesn't seem to exsist as hardware I have to try to config it manually and every time I try I fail horribley, any help would be appreciated
 
Old 05-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
masand
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: INDIA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Solaris,CentOS
Posts: 5,522

Rep: Reputation: 58
just get the horizontal and refresh rates for ur monitor and it won't matter if it is not able to detect ur monitor
the refresh rates will help

regards
 
Old 05-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
aes canis
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Finland
Distribution: Slackware 13.37, Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 15
I found this:
http://www.driverguide.com/boards/nec/934.html

it gives several links to driver files. Download the driver files, and unzip them. In them, you will find files with the extention .inf You can open these in a text editor. there you will find the horizontal & vertical scan rates you for xconfig.
 
Old 05-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by masand
just get the horizontal and refresh rates for ur monitor and it won't matter if it is not able to detect ur monitor
the refresh rates will help

regards
tried, way to many times
 
Old 05-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by aes canis
I found this:
http://www.driverguide.com/boards/nec/934.html

it gives several links to driver files. Download the driver files, and unzip them. In them, you will find files with the extention .inf You can open these in a text editor. there you will find the horizontal & vertical scan rates you for xconfig.
thanks
 
Old 05-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
couldn't find the one I was looking for
 
Old 05-21-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
aes canis
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Finland
Distribution: Slackware 13.37, Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 15
These were buried in the Windows 98 monitors .inf files:
(The are for AT&T 17" Value and 17" Pro monitors)
Code:
[17Value]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=17Value.AddReg, 1280, DPMS

[17Pro]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=17Pro.AddReg, 1280, DPMS

[17Value.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30-64,50-90,+,+"

[17Pro.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30-82,50-160,+,+"
Have you tried these settings:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    VendorName    "AT&T"
    ModelName     "17Value"	#or for the 17" Pro: ModelName "17Pro"
    Identifier    "AT&T17"
    HorizSync     30.0 - 64.0	#or for the 17" Pro: 30.0-82.8
    VertRefresh   50-90		#or for the 17" Pro: 50-160
    Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection
The .inf file also seems to suggest that it only supports resolutions 1280x1024 and 1024x768.

Last edited by aes canis; 05-21-2005 at 01:46 AM.
 
Old 05-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by aes canis
These were buried in the Windows 98 monitors .inf files:
(The are for AT&T 17" Value and 17" Pro monitors)
Code:
[17Value]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=17Value.AddReg, 1280, DPMS

[17Pro]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=17Pro.AddReg, 1280, DPMS

[17Value.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30-64,50-90,+,+"

[17Pro.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30-82,50-160,+,+"
Have you tried these settings:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    VendorName    "AT&T"
    ModelName     "17Value"	#or for the 17" Pro: ModelName "17Pro"
    Identifier    "AT&T17"
    HorizSync     30.0 - 64.0	#or for the 17" Pro: 30.0-82.8
    VertRefresh   50-90		#or for the 17" Pro: 50-160
    Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection
The .inf file also seems to suggest that it only supports resolutions 1280x1024 and 1024x768.
thanks I'll try that today
 
Old 05-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Ok I did what you said , and now when I startx it says "A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved" I'm gonna play around with the displays modes, I'll come back if I can't figure it out
 
Old 05-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
also it doesn't reconize the code command option
 
Old 05-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #11
rarsa
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Distribution: Puppy Linux/ Mint
Posts: 210

Rep: Reputation: 31
Do you have a screen section defining your available resolutions?

Here is an example, just replace the Device name and the monitor identifiers to match the names in the corresponding sections

And include the resolutions supported by your monitor

Code:
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Modes "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
 
Old 05-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #12
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by Raul Suarez
Do you have a screen section defining your available resolutions?

Here is an example, just replace the Device name and the monitor identifiers to match the names in the corresponding sections

And include the resolutions supported by your monitor

Code:
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Modes "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
I do, how do you open your log
 
Old 05-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
bump
 
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 AM   #14
aes canis
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Finland
Distribution: Slackware 13.37, Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Exiledhellfire
also it doesn't reconize the code command option
Exiledhellfire - paste the "Monitor" and "Screen" sections of your xorg.conf, or XF86Config - whichever you have, here, and we'll take it from there.
 
Old 05-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
Exiledhellfire
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Code:
Section "Monitor"

              Identifier "AT&T17"
              VendorName "AT&T"
              ModelName "17Value"     #or for the 17" Pro: ModelName "17Pro"
              HorizSync 30.0-64.0         #or for the 17" Pro: 30.0-82.8
              VertRefresh 50-90            #or for the 17" Pro: 50-160
EndSection
I'll put the screen in abit later
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
make xconfig problem Elessar18 Debian 4 03-14-2005 11:25 AM
make xconfig problem dhave Linux - General 5 12-27-2004 07:49 AM
make xconfig, xconfig with weird words pakkua80 Fedora - Installation 3 11-17-2004 07:19 AM
Problem with make xconfig Rav3n Debian 5 07-18-2004 11:13 AM
Problem with xconfig and menuconfig Snabber Linux - General 3 07-08-2003 11:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration