LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 42
xcdroast question.


I have a 700MB CD-R. How can I record an iso file of 733MB on this CD-R ? I was informed I can do this. Can there be any errors when doing this ? How to avoid them ?

Moreover, from this compressed CD, can I copy the ISO image back to the HD to burn more CD's ? If yes, how ? Please describe in detail.

Thank You.

Vijay
 
Old 09-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
watashiwaotaku7
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2002
Location: wisconsin -- The Badger state
Distribution: gentoo
Posts: 654

Rep: Reputation: 30
i dont think theres a way to write a 733mb image to a normal cd...what was the source that told you it was possible?
 
Old 09-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
rickenbacherus
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: colorado springs. colorado
Distribution: Debian-Sid 2.6.24-rt1
Posts: 290

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: xcdroast question.

Quote:
Originally posted by rvijay
I have a 700MB CD-R. How can I record an iso file of 733MB on this CD-R ? I was informed I can do this. Can there be any errors when doing this ? How to avoid them ?
I think you can only overburn a few MB- but not 33! Are you sure it's actually 733MB?

Quote:
Moreover, from this compressed CD, can I copy the ISO image back to the HD to burn more CD's ? If yes, how ? Please describe in detail.

Thank You.

Vijay
Piece of cake.

cat /dev/scd0 > yourimage.iso

OR

dd if=/dev/scd0 of=yourimage.iso

How's that for detail?
 
Old 09-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921
Blog Entries: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally posted by watashiwaotaku7
i dont think theres a way to write a 733mb image to a normal cd...what was the source that told you it was possible?
The salesperson at the store.

Vijay
 
Old 09-29-2003, 06:41 PM   #5
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921
Blog Entries: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 42
Re: Re: xcdroast question.

Quote:
Originally posted by rickenbacherus
I think you can only overburn a few MB- but not 33! Are you sure it's actually 733MB?
715Mb to be exact.



Quote:
Originally posted by rickenbacherus
Piece of cake.

cat /dev/scd0 > yourimage.iso

OR

dd if=/dev/scd0 of=yourimage.iso

How's that for detail?
Excellent. Will this work for the compressed image also ? Thanks.

Vijay
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xcdroast configuration question pasalacqua128 Linux - Software 3 07-19-2004 07:53 PM
Question about WINE and XCDROAST....... jmax24 Linux - Software 2 04-23-2004 09:09 PM
xcdroast Question. rvijay Linux - Newbie 5 10-06-2003 03:47 PM
xcdroast i_is_cat Linux - Software 20 06-28-2003 04:55 AM
how to use xcdroast? doublefailure Linux - Software 2 08-29-2002 05:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration