Working of CUPS
I am using CUPS on my FC8 machine.
I have attached a HP LaserJet P2035n printer using a USB cable.
I am able to successfully print a .ps file, a text file, a .png file etc.
I have gone through some documents on how CUPS works but still not clear about it.
I read about postscript, gs (interpreter for postscript), printer drivers, printers that understand postscript etc.
I would like to know :
1. when I give "lpr" command to print a file e.g. image.png then what different processing is carried out on this file?
2. Is the file converted to postscript format first and then given to printer?
3. Is it required to convert a file to a postscript format if it is already a .ps file?
4. Is a printer driver(hpijs, hplip) used if we convert a file to a postscript?
5. What is the role of "gs"? Does it play any role in printing?
6. If conversion to postscript is required then at what stage and who does that (CUPS, gs)?
7. when are the commands ps2ascii, ps2pdf, ps2ps etc. are used?
I will be very much thankful if anybody could clear these doubts?