Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am using CUPS on my FC8 machine.
I have attached a HP LaserJet P2035n printer using a USB cable.
I am able to successfully print a .ps file, a text file, a .png file etc.
I have gone through some documents on how CUPS works but still not clear about it.
I read about postscript, gs (interpreter for postscript), printer drivers, printers that understand postscript etc.
I would like to know :
1. when I give "lpr" command to print a file e.g. image.png then what different processing is carried out on this file?
2. Is the file converted to postscript format first and then given to printer?
3. Is it required to convert a file to a postscript format if it is already a .ps file?
4. Is a printer driver(hpijs, hplip) used if we convert a file to a postscript?
5. What is the role of "gs"? Does it play any role in printing?
6. If conversion to postscript is required then at what stage and who does that (CUPS, gs)?
7. when are the commands ps2ascii, ps2pdf, ps2ps etc. are used?
I will be very much thankful if anybody could clear these doubts?