LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Windows 7 wont boot up after installing Fedora 15. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/windows-7-wont-boot-up-after-installing-fedora-15-a-901578/)

Puneet_P 09-07-2011 07:52 AM

Windows 7 wont boot up after installing Fedora 15.
 
Windows 7 wont boot up after installing Fedora 15. When I try to boot Win7, the loader screen appears for a second, gets stuck and then suddenly a blue screen flashes for a fraction of a second (wasn't able to read what was on it) and then the computer restarts again.

I never read any installation instructions before or during the installation of Fedora 15

Below is what I got when executed the fdisk -l command
Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa8a8a8a8

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 1845247 922592+ 42 SFS
/dev/sda2 * 1845248 2050047 102400 42 SFS
/dev/sda3 2050048 515598335 256774144 42 SFS
/dev/sda4 515598336 976773119 230587392 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 515602432 540768255 12582912 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 540770304 544964607 2097152 82 Linux swap / Solaris
Please Help!

yancek 09-07-2011 09:25 AM

Post your /boot/grub/grub.conf file here. I think it might have something to do with the SFS filesystem. Encrypted partitions?

Puneet_P 09-07-2011 10:53 AM

/boot/grub/grub.conf
 
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,4)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda5
# initrd /boot/initrd-[generic-]version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686.PAE)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686.PAE ro root=UUID=9b0028b4-244d-48d4-ba21-63a75ef80a3c rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686.PAE.img
title Fedora (2.6.40.3-0.fc15.i686.PAE)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.40.3-0.fc15.i686.PAE ro root=UUID=9b0028b4-244d-48d4-ba21-63a75ef80a3c rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.40.3-0.fc15.i686.PAE.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

No. I did not encrypt any partition.

sandwormusmc 09-07-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puneet_P (Post 4463835)
Windows 7 wont boot up after installing Fedora 15. When I try to boot Win7, the loader screen appears for a second, gets stuck and then suddenly a blue screen flashes for a fraction of a second (wasn't able to read what was on it) and then the computer restarts again.

I never read any installation instructions before or during the installation of Fedora 15

Below is what I got when executed the fdisk -l command
Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa8a8a8a8

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 1845247 922592+ 42 SFS
/dev/sda2 * 1845248 2050047 102400 42 SFS
/dev/sda3 2050048 515598335 256774144 42 SFS
/dev/sda4 515598336 976773119 230587392 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 515602432 540768255 12582912 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 540770304 544964607 2097152 82 Linux swap / Solaris
Please Help!

Sounds like your Windows 7 installation is broke ... it *IS* booting, so it's past the GRUB part, however it's not loading Windows correctly for some reason. Try hitting "F8" after selecting "Windows" (or "Other") in your GRUB screen, then enter Windows in safe mode to troubleshoot.

If you can get into Windows and see the boot selection screen, it's not a GRUB thing, more than likely a Windows 7 issue that you can resolve using the "Startup Fixer" (or whatever it's called) or trying to troubleshoot in safe mode.

sandwormusmc 09-07-2011 02:28 PM

Looks like someone else had this issue also. The SFS thing seemed odd to me as well, so it seems some strangeness is going on there.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1386808.html

yancek 09-07-2011 03:01 PM

Take a look at the link below for some information on SFS:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ilesystem.html

Never used it so can't offer any advice.

Puneet_P 09-07-2011 11:07 PM

Thank you yancek and sandwormusmc. I'll try to get back with a solution.

Puneet_P 09-11-2011 10:03 AM

Gentlemen! While installing Fed15 I used the "Create Custom Partition" option to allocate space (created an extended partition for root along with a swap partition), could that have been the cause to why Win7 is not booting up?!!

yancek 09-11-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

While installing Fed15 I used the "Create Custom Partition" option to allocate space (created an extended partition for root along with a swap partition), could that have been the cause to why Win7 is not booting up
No. I expect it has more to do with the SFS filesystem which is not generally used on windows with ntfs being the default for windows 7. Did you create the SFS filesystem? If not, I have no idea how it got there. You might try googling for info on SFS filesystems or searching some windows sites for info.

Puneet_P 09-11-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yancek (Post 4469004)
Did you create the SFS filesystem? If not, I have no idea how it got there. You might try googling for info on SFS filesystems or searching some windows sites for info.

No. I did not create it as SFS. Resources from Google say SFS is something related to Dynamic disks.

And It seems to me that only "fdisk" is detecting the partitions to be SFS, because when I used GParted GUI to check on them, it showed them as NTFS partitions.

yancek 09-11-2011 10:48 PM

You might try changing your windows entry to sda2 since it is marked active in the fdisk output.

Quote:

title windows 7
root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.