LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
mike_44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
WiFi with Live Cds


I was wondering when using a Live Cd like BackTrack 2, do I have to use ndiswrapper to configure my wireless card? If so, is there a link I can go to for the steps because I noticed that the steps for ndiswrapper is a little different with some distros.

Thanks for the help

Mike
 
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Laptop: Debian Jessie, NAS: OpenMediaVault
Posts: 1,302

Rep: Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_44 View Post
I was wondering when using a Live Cd like BackTrack 2, do I have to use ndiswrapper to configure my wireless card? If so, is there a link I can go to for the steps because I noticed that the steps for ndiswrapper is a little different with some distros.

Thanks for the help

Mike
Setting up wireless on any Live CD, if your device is not recognized out of the box, will be difficult at best, because even installing ndiswrapper, you will have to restart to make the changes take effect.

Do you know what your wireless device is?

IGF
 
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
mike_44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 16

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Yeah, I have a belkin desktop wireless card. I figured it would be hard due to the restart, i just didn't know if there was a way around it. Thanks, I appreciate the confirmation. Do you know where I can find definite instructions that will work as far as installing ndiswrapper for whatever distro worked for you. I already used

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/j...,installation/

with Fedora 9 but when I use modprobe ndiswrapper to load the module, my computer freezes.
 
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Laptop: Debian Jessie, NAS: OpenMediaVault
Posts: 1,302

Rep: Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_44 View Post
Yeah, I have a belkin desktop wireless card. I figured it would be hard due to the restart, i just didn't know if there was a way around it. Thanks, I appreciate the confirmation. Do you know where I can find definite instructions that will work as far as installing ndiswrapper for whatever distro worked for you. I already used

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/j...,installation/

with Fedora 9 but when I use modprobe ndiswrapper to load the module, my computer freezes.
You'd need more definite info about the wireless card. Is it a USB device, or an Internal device. If its a USB device, plug it in, boot the Live CD, and in a terminal type lsusb and paste the results here. If its an internal wireless device, then open a terminal and run lspci and paste the results here.

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 08-06-2008 at 10:36 PM.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,541
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Hi,

With most Livecd and using ndiswrapper there is no need to restart or reboot the system. As root you would just restart the 'inet'. Of course you would need the M$ driver.inf file(s) for the device(s). You can use a flash, floppy or even common/shared hdd space to store the *.inf file.

Most Livecd do provide a means to become 'root' so that would allow you to use ndiswrapper if that too has been included with the Livecd. I use Knoppix all the time with different systems and at times ndiswrapper to support different network device(s). Just find out how the 'inet' is 'stop/start/restart' for the Livecd you plan on using.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Laptop: Debian Jessie, NAS: OpenMediaVault
Posts: 1,302

Rep: Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

With most Livecd and using ndiswrapper there is no need to restart or reboot the system. As root you would just restart the 'inet'. Of course you would need the M$ driver.inf file(s) for the device(s). You can use a flash, floppy or even common/shared hdd space to store the *.inf file.

Most Livecd do provide a means to become 'root' so that would allow you to use ndiswrapper if that too has been included with the Livecd. I use Knoppix all the time with different systems and at times ndiswrapper to support different network device(s). Just find out how the 'inet' is 'stop/start/restart' for the Livecd you plan on using.
Interesting... I didn't know that. What is the command to restart inet?

Thanks for the info.

IGF
 
Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,541
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Hi,

You should use '/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 stop/start/restart' for 'Backtrack'.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
mike_44
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 16

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks you two, I appreciate all the info. I'm in the process of downloading Slackware 12.1. I was just curious about the whole Live Cd thing, because BackTrack has a lot of cool tools I would like to use that requires a working NIC. I'm using VMWare right now with my Live CDs that way my wireless is already ready to use. But I figured if I wanna become a Linux GooRoo, I better start learning how to use tools like ndiswrapper and YaSt

Last edited by mike_44; 08-07-2008 at 09:32 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live CDs rahilmaknojia Linux - Software 10 08-03-2008 08:08 AM
FC 7 Live CDs anilbh Fedora 1 08-08-2007 03:27 PM
Where are all the Live CDs? hammanu Linux - Distributions 5 01-12-2007 09:41 AM
Live CDs seelk Linux - Software 3 01-31-2006 07:38 PM
Where to buy cheap Linux Cds - especially Live Cds fleeced Linux - Newbie 2 05-31-2004 10:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration