LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
hei14
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Distribution: puppy
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Why to PC manufacturers make you purchase Window's operating system?


I have called Dell, HP, Toshiba and many others. They all say that they can not sell their computer without a operating system. WHY?
 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
schneidz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: boston, usa
Distribution: fc-15/ fc-20-live-usb/ aix
Posts: 5,029

Rep: Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845
contractual obligation ?
 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidz View Post
contractual obligation ?
I worked for OEMs which were part of the Windows Partner program and I can assure you that there is no such contractual obligation, at least for the OEMs I worked at. We were totally fine with delivering machines without OS.

Also, at least HP delivers machines "without OS". Well, not really, they put FreeDOS on them.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_10{.0|.1|.2}
Posts: 3,887
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007Reputation: 2007
To make sure that you pay the Micro$oft tax:

http://www.linfo.org/microsoft_tax.html

http://tuxmobil.org/ms_tax.html

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009...for-amazon-uk/

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Bundling_of_Microsoft_Windows

Last edited by astrogeek; 12-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
haertig
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Slackware, SysrescueCD
Posts: 2,117

Rep: Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330
I'm sure they made a deal with the devil. The devil will provide them with a discount or kickback on the operating system, if they agree to sell their hardware with only the devils operating system installed, and no other options. It all makes perfect sense, if you are the devil.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
nd7rmn8
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 13
I wouldn't either. For 2 reasons.

1. I want to make sure it will actually boot up past the bios before I sell it. *edit* (on second thought, I doubt they actually test things like that.)
2. A large number of people dont understand what it means when there is no OS installed. I've known people who have reformatted their hard drive and wonder why there is no start menu...

Now, some manufacturers will sell computers with linux pre-installed (usually ubuntu). You might save a few dollars that way, but probably not much.

Last edited by nd7rmn8; 12-17-2013 at 03:34 PM.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd7rmn8 View Post
1. I want to make sure it will actually boot up past the bios before I sell it. *edit* (on second thought, I doubt they actually test things like that.)
You can be pretty sure that those machines are tested. OEMs use tests that are fully automatic, reducing the costs of tests under the costs of a callback in case they got a batch of defective components (which does happen).
 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
schneidz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: boston, usa
Distribution: fc-15/ fc-20-live-usb/ aix
Posts: 5,029

Rep: Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845Reputation: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd7rmn8 View Post
...
Now, some manufacturers will sell computers with linux pre-installed (usually ubuntu). You might save a few dollars that way, but probably not much.
a friend of mine got a pc with ubuntu pre-installed but he had to go thru their small business department. i think they get bulk oem discounts from windows as long as they dont dual-boot with any competitive software.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
lleb
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Distribution: CentOS/Fedora
Posts: 2,630

Rep: Reputation: 495Reputation: 495Reputation: 495Reputation: 495Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
I worked for OEMs which were part of the Windows Partner program and I can assure you that there is no such contractual obligation, at least for the OEMs I worked at. We were totally fine with delivering machines without OS.

Also, at least HP delivers machines "without OS". Well, not really, they put FreeDOS on them.
not sure what OEM's you worked for but the likes of Dell, HP, Compaq, before they were bought out, etc... all are under a non-compete with MS to install MS OS only or they receive less money for support and have to pay more for licenses. its that simple. it all boils down to the all mighty $$$.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
Quote:
Originally Posted by lleb View Post
not sure what OEM's you worked for but the likes of Dell, HP, Compaq, before they were bought out, etc... all are under a non-compete with MS to install MS OS only or they receive less money for support and have to pay more for licenses. its that simple. it all boils down to the all mighty $$$.
Which is quite fun, since I received my laptop from HP with a non-MS open source operating system, FreeDOS. Also, Dell sells systems with Ubuntu preinstalled, so I would regard this as FUD until I actually see such a contract.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
hei14
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Distribution: puppy
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
There are some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd7rmn8 View Post
I wouldn't either. For 2 reasons.

1. I want to make sure it will actually boot up past the bios before I sell it. *edit* (on second thought, I doubt they actually test things like that.)
2. A large number of people dont understand what it means when there is no OS installed. I've known people who have reformatted their hard drive and wonder why there is no start menu...

Now, some manufacturers will sell computers with linux pre-installed (usually ubuntu). You might save a few dollars that way, but probably not much.
There is System 76, but you must use Ubuntu on whole drive. Yes, you can make more partitions,but I like to start out fresh. Plus they are bit pricey. There are ways to test the system without installing a operating system. I can only think because Linux users are small in number, they cater to Microsoft to get their system at a low price. I hope Linux becomes more popular. I know almost nothing about computers and software programs, and I find Linux distributions ease to use. I hope more people discover what I did about Linux.
I what to thank all those who know programing and contributed to developing Linux distributions. You have made computing fun!
 
Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,260

Rep: Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948Reputation: 1948
You shouldn't worry about it too much. You're paying almost nothing for the Windows license anyway, the few manufacturers who sell systems without it only charge maybe $10 less. Think of it like getting a free copy of Windows with the purchase of any computer, which you can keep or toss as you wish.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 15 , Slackel 14.1, ChromeOS
Posts: 4,713
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970Reputation: 1970
Some kind of explanation I guess

http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk.../nowindows.htm
 
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,900

Rep: Reputation: 636Reputation: 636Reputation: 636Reputation: 636Reputation: 636Reputation: 636
I posted a thread about this ages ago (about 2 years now I suppose) either here on on Ubuntu Forums. In Australia Dell would not sell any machines without Windows pre-installed and if you wipe Windows or remove the original hard drive the warranty would be voided.
 
Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
nd7rmn8
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
You can be pretty sure that those machines are tested. OEMs use tests that are fully automatic, reducing the costs of tests under the costs of a callback in case they got a batch of defective components (which does happen).
That makes sense. I was just imagining the qa/qc guys at dell booting up each computer, playing solitaire and watching a video on youtube to make sure it works. They probably have more automated and advanced methods than I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
I posted a thread about this ages ago (about 2 years now I suppose) either here on on Ubuntu Forums. In Australia Dell would not sell any machines without Windows pre-installed and if you wipe Windows or remove the original hard drive the warranty would be voided.
Back in 2004, when I was but a young inexperienced computer user making my way into the world of linux, I e-mailed dell (here in the U.S.) and asked them that if I formatted the HD and installed linux, would my warranty still be good. They told me that only the hardware would still be covered. Of course, that was a while ago. Things can change. That was back when I cared about warranties. Nowadays, I usually void warranties long before the equipment has an oppurtunity to break via legitimate means.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: 10 Things That Make Ubuntu The Best Alternative Operating System LXer Syndicated Linux News 2 05-20-2011 10:18 AM
How Do You Make A Simple Linux Operating System Jamie Kugelmann Linux - Newbie 19 10-05-2008 09:38 PM
How to make an image (back-up) for easily restoring tweaked operating system CharlieBucket Linux - Software 2 09-23-2007 05:32 PM
Linux 2.6.20 how to make into an operating System theinfidel Linux - Newbie 11 08-09-2007 02:16 PM
Can't connect to X11 window server Checking operating system version: must be redha pmarino Linux - General 2 09-20-2004 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration