LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Ornithological Ornod
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
Why is the GUI of gedit in Kubuntu ugly?


I have just installed Kubuntu on my laptop and when I run gedit, the GUI looks ancient and ugly. It should be beautiful. This has happened to me before, but I do not how to undo it. Check the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: png Ugly gedit.png (28.3 KB, 48 views)
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
alienDog
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Europe
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 505

Rep: Reputation: 46
You're running GTK/GNOME based application (GEdit) under QT based environment (KDE). It seems that your GTK theme doesn't get set, and that the GTK uses the default theme with some really weird font. You could try installing gtk-chtheme (http://plasmasturm.org/code/gtk-chtheme/) and setting your preferred theme with that, but my suggestion would be to use a QT based editor instead of GEdit. Kate is what I think KDE folks often use (you probably have it installed in your system by default), but there are other choices too.

Last edited by alienDog; 10-24-2011 at 07:31 PM.
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Ornithological Ornod
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I know about Kate and lots other duplicate KDE tools.

I think that KDE makes trouble if you open gedit after installation without having first rebooted. That is what my memory tells me (a bit unsure). There must be text file with settings somewhere that can be edited.
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
alienDog
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Europe
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 505

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornithological Ornod View Post
I know about Kate and lots other duplicate KDE tools.

I think that KDE makes trouble if you open gedit after installation without having first rebooted. That is what my memory tells me (a bit unsure). There must be text file with settings somewhere that can be edited.
~/.gtkrc? That's what gtk-chtheme would end up editing, I think. I could be wrong about this, though. It could be something to do with KDE, I'm not really a KDE man.

Last edited by alienDog; 10-24-2011 at 07:57 PM.
 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Ornithological Ornod
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienDog View Post
~/.gtkrc? That's what gtk-chtheme would end up editing, I think. I could be wrong about this, though. It could be something to do with KDE, I'm not really a KDE man.
Nope! Check the picture. Those are my folders in the home directory.
Attached Images
File Type: png Home directories.png (129.0 KB, 20 views)
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 1,226

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
You could install QT-Curve, its a matching gtk/qt. It will make all your applications look the same. After you've installed it You can use "gtk-chtheme" to change your gtk theme, then just go into your kde settings to change your qt theme to qt-curve.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=40492
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 714Reputation: 714Reputation: 714Reputation: 714Reputation: 714Reputation: 714Reputation: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
You could install QT-Curve, its a matching gtk/qt. It will make all your applications look the same. After you've installed it You can use "gtk-chtheme" to change your gtk theme, then just go into your kde settings to change your qt theme to qt-curve.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=40492
Just note that it will look different than the default KDE theme.

Another choice is to use the gtk-qt theme, that actually uses Qt to draw GTK widgets.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 1,226

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
There is also oxygen-gtk http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/?content=136216
 
Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Ornithological Ornod
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
You could install QT-Curve, its a matching gtk/qt. It will make all your applications look the same. After you've installed it You can use "gtk-chtheme" to change your gtk theme, then just go into your kde settings to change your qt theme to qt-curve.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=40492
I did install the QT-curve package (kde-style-qtcurve) and enable it in "Windows decorations". But when I run gedit, it looks weird (attached picture). It does not solve my problem.

Another strange phenomenon is that gedit always opens an empty document whenever I open a text file from Dolphin. That is "Untitled Document 1" in the picture. That never happens otherwise (= it is related to the GUI problem.).

A third strange thing is that other Gnome programs are being affected (e.g., Document Viewer) too.

If I get rid of my current Kubuntu installation, reinstall Kubuntu, install gedit into the new installation and reboot my computer, then these problems are no more. But it is too time-consuming to do that. There is some setting phenomenon that is affecting some Gnome programs in KDE and I want to know what that is.
Attached Images
File Type: png Ugly gedit 2.png (120.3 KB, 10 views)
 
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Ornithological Ornod
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
I have Oxygen enabled, but it is not working for non-KDE programs.
 
Old 10-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 1,226

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
did you use the gtk-chtheme program to change your gtk theme?
 
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Ornithological Ornod
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
did you use the gtk-chtheme program to change your gtk theme?
I installed gtk-chtheme and it does not seem to make any change anywhere. When picking a different window decoration, I get new frames of gedit and other programs, but the interior of all programs and windows seems to be unchanged.
 
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
alienDog
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Europe
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 505

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornithological Ornod View Post
I installed gtk-chtheme and it does not seem to make any change anywhere. When picking a different window decoration, I get new frames of gedit and other programs, but the interior of all programs and windows seems to be unchanged.
Isn't this what's supposed to happen when you change the window decorations? You need to change the toolkit theme, not the window decorations.

One thing you could try is renaming .gonf, .gnome2 and .gnome2_private directories to some other name. Maybe something's wrong there. You will lose the settings of your GNOME apps is you decide to try this, but you can always set them again (or simply rename the directories back).

Does gedit act up with every user account on your machine or just with the one that you generally use?

Ps. .gtkrc is a regular file, it's not a directory. The user interface settings of GTK (fonts, theme etc.) are usually in this file.

Last edited by alienDog; 10-25-2011 at 11:48 PM.
 
Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,139
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
To get the oxygen-gtk theme working properly, you have to copy the gtkrc file to your home directory as .gtkrc-2.0. Don't know if it's the same in Kubuntu, but in Slackware it means doing this:
Code:
cp /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc ~/.gtkrc-2.0
 
Old 10-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Ornithological Ornod
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienDog View Post
Isn't this what's supposed to happen when you change the window decorations? You need to change the toolkit theme, not the window decorations.
Changing widget style in system settings -> application appearance -> style makes wonders in Kate but not in Gedit, i.e. it does not seem to work for non-KDE applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienDog View Post
One thing you could try is renaming .gonf, .gnome2 and .gnome2_private directories to some other name. Maybe something's wrong there. You will lose the settings of your GNOME apps is you decide to try this, but you can always set them again (or simply rename the directories back).
I tried deleting .gconf, .gnome2 and .gnome2_private and then reboot my computer. It makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienDog View Post
Does gedit act up with every user account on your machine or just with the one that you generally use?
I tried creating a new account and gedit looks weird there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienDog View Post
Ps. .gtkrc is a regular file, it's not a directory. The user interface settings of GTK (fonts, theme etc.) are usually in this file.
In my home folder, I can find .gtkrc-2.0-kde4. It contains one line of code:

Code:
include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
 
  


Reply

Tags
gedit, gui, kubuntu


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ugly, Ugly OS selection screen still in Kubuntu and Ubuntu rusty2 Linux - Software 7 12-05-2010 05:05 PM
KDE GUI is ugly kramer2718 Linux - Desktop 6 06-08-2008 11:26 PM
gui for nautilus,gedit....etc not working in root mode me4linux Linux - Software 3 08-09-2007 01:33 PM
Help - Matlab with ugly GUI font under FC3 _cjx_ Linux - Software 1 08-09-2005 10:02 AM
[bittornado-gui] huge ugly font Creak Linux - Software 0 01-17-2005 07:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration