LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,330

Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
why do they assume?


why is it windows and especally linux assumes you have multiusers
i have never used mu functionality and never will.
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Tux-Slack
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 511

Rep: Reputation: 37
What would you say if all OSs had only single user capabilities and you would need to add another user, then find out, you need a new partition and a completely new OS for another user?
So you don't use it...but many others do. I don't see the problem or drawback of this "functionality".

P.S: you can bootup Linux in single user mode.
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
MS3FGX
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 5,852

Rep: Reputation: 356Reputation: 356Reputation: 356Reputation: 356
Not sure that this question really even deserves a response, but Linux is based on Unix, which was designed in a time when one person could never possibly own his own computer. Computers were shared between hundreds, if not thousands, of users.

Just because you own your own computer doesn't mean they are going to fundamentally redesign the operating system. Not all computers are used by a single person, you realize.
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeezekitty View Post
why is it windows and especally linux assumes you have multiusers
Perhaps because operating systems are designed for diverse users and not just for you?

One of my primary issues in choosing and setting up a distro is how well the user switching works.
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,330

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
even on shared computers i use it in single user mode
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Tux-Slack
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 511

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeezekitty View Post
even on shared computers i use it in single user mode
Just face it, there are many more users unlike you.
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeezekitty View Post
even on shared computers i use it in single user mode
You mean "single-user" as in "root login without password"? That's great, assuming the following:
You are the only user
There is no sensitive info on the computer--OR--you keep it securely locked up somewhere.

I hope you can accept that your situation might not be typical......
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
custangro
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: California
Distribution: Fedora , CentOS , RHEL
Posts: 1,970
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 208Reputation: 208Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
You mean "single-user" as in "root login without password"? That's great, assuming the following:
You are the only user
There is no sensitive info on the computer--OR--you keep it securely locked up somewhere.

I hope you can accept that your situation might not be typical......
Yeah...also in "single user mode" there is not networking...or anything useful for that matter...
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,330

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
i keep a firewall up and really not worried about physical access
form other peopl
 
Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
OK!!!!

We can accept that you have a setup that works for YOU. Has your original question been answered?
 
Old 10-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,330

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
yes
 
Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,330

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
they leave it as an option in case you want it
 
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeezekitty View Post
they leave it as an option in case you want it
Brilliant!!!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: I Think We Can Safely Assume.... LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-21-2007 10:01 AM
Patching: Assume? psychobuffalo Linux - Newbie 1 08-22-2005 06:29 PM
how safe is it to assume a laptop will work? CowLoon Linux - Laptop and Netbook 10 01-07-2005 01:39 AM
Odd problem with UT and, I assume, Open GL jasarien Linux - Games 2 09-02-2004 06:00 PM
Another very basic question - I assume Terri Linux - Networking 4 10-09-2001 10:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration