You need to include a lot more information in order for "us lot" to be able to assist, i.e:
1. Include /var/log/maillog extracts including entries for the user "remote"
2. Is your client machine and the mailserver on the same network?
3. Is there a valid account on the network with the name "remote"
4. If possible include same contents of the "spam" email.
5. What *Nix distro are you using and which smtp program, i.e. sendmail..? If you are using Sendmail try the command:
sendmail -d0.4 -bv root
The first line of output should display the version.