Hi all, I'm new here and would like to make the jump the linux. but i have a couple important questions that i would like to the answer to.
my question is
Which linux operating system is for me?
(a bit of info about me)
1) i have no skills in developing software for operating systems of any type so i need something with little micromanaging and assembly.
2) i want something that can play PC games for windows. (like Half-Life 2)
3) It should be able to use some windows programs along with mac. this isn't the biggest thing i am worried about but would be a great touch in terms of flexibility.
4) NEEDS TO BE AN OUTSTANDING OFFICE COMPUTER. I plan on doing a lot of work with media devices such as cameras and what not, also it needs to be good with 3d modeling/Animation, Photo manipulations, and sound editing.
5) I need something that will get the most out of my hardware, i have the following on my comp
Speed: 3000 Mhz
2 logical processors
1 physical processors
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
DirectX Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 126.96.36.19947
DirectX Driver Version: 188.8.131.5247
Driver Date: 12 Aug 2006
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Number of Monitors: 1
Primary Display Type: CRT
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary AGP GART Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 256 MB
Primary Monitor Vendor: Dell
Primary Monitor Model: Dell M992
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x
Audio device: SigmaTel Audio
RAM: 2046 Mb
Hard Disk Drive:
5) I need a computer that can grow with me and my work, as in, updates would be timely, flexibility is a must, and should be able to do more things than windows or OSX.
Thanks goes in advance for the info.