LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
rlbewick
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: USA - West Coast
Distribution: Mandriva 2009
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Which Distro?


I have been using Mandrake/Mandriva for some time mostly as a server. I have come to a point where I would like to rid myself of Winblows.

Under Mandriva 2008 the latest packages for Firefox, Thunderbird and Open Office are not available except from a manual install. My question is, is there a distro that has the latest versions of the above software for a seamless install? Or would it be best to simply run manual installs?


Thanks :-)
 
Old 12-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 234Reputation: 234Reputation: 234
Sometimes distributions won't release on the exact day the individual projects release their updates. Most distro's need to test before they make their own release. Either hang tight or go grab the source and either build your own packages or install manually.
 
Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
jay73
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
A new version of mandriva is released every six months so it is most unlikely that they will invest time in backporting the latest packages to a system that is at least two releases behind the current one. That would apply to almost any distro. I am sure that if you simply grabbed the latest release of mandriva, ubuntu, fedora or suse, you could save yourself a lot of time. Compiling open office and firefox will take quite a few hours unless you happen to have a powerful brand new computer.

Last edited by jay73; 12-23-2008 at 06:56 PM.
 
Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
rlbewick
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: USA - West Coast
Distribution: Mandriva 2009
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
A new version of mandriva is released every six months so it is most unlikely that they will invest time in backporting the latest packages to a system that is at least two releases behind the current one. That would apply to almost any distro. I am sure that if you simply grabbed the latest release of mandriva, ubuntu, fedora or suse, you could save yourself a lot of time. Compiling open office and firefox will take quite a few hours unless you happen to have a powerful brand new computer.
Thank you Jay. I do happen to have a dual Xeon box but would rather install an OS update for sure. Mandriva seems to be a bit strange, they are not offering a free version that installs to hard disk. Am I wrong here or am I looking in the wrong place?
 
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
jay73
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Quote:
Am I wrong here or am I looking in the wrong place?
Both
There are free isos but I have to admit that the folks at Mandriva seem to delight in hiding them as well as they can; the 32 bit livecd is quite easy to find but the rest, nah. I am sure one of these days they are going to release one codenamed "Mandriva Easter Eggs" LOL.

Here is a link to the 32 bit livecd, which is not all that difficult to find.
http://www.mandriva.com/en/download
As for the 64 bit version, I usually select a mirror that hosts the 32 bit dvd and climb up the tree until I find myself in the directory that has 64 bit. Could take some patience, though.

Last edited by jay73; 12-23-2008 at 09:12 PM.
 
Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
rlbewick
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: USA - West Coast
Distribution: Mandriva 2009
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
Both
There are free isos but I have to admit that the folks at Mandriva seem to delight in hiding them as well as they can; the 32 bit livecd is quite easy to find but the rest, nah. I am sure one of these days they are going to release one codenamed "Mandriva Easter Eggs" LOL.

Here is a link to the 32 bit livecd, which is not all that difficult to find.
http://www.mandriva.com/en/download
As for the 64 bit version, I usually select a mirror that hosts the 32 bit dvd and climb up the tree until I find myself in the directory that has 64 bit. Could take some patience, though.
I have already tried the liveCD but it doe not provide a hard drive install so, what is the use?
 
Old 12-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
jay73
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
There should be an installer on the desktop.
 
Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
RAFAL
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Archlinux, Debian
Posts: 139

Rep: Reputation: 16
check opensuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbewick View Post
My question is, is there a distro that has the latest versions of the above software for a seamless install? Or would it be best to simply run manual installs?
Hi
I work with opensuse and all updates are as easy as with Windows. You have only to add Mozilla repository to YaST and then you update it by selecting allays the latest version. Once you added repository (and there are several!) you always get latest version. And all dependencies will be solved by YaST (not like with manual installation or RPM installation in command line).
OpenSuse is very easy even for beginners. My last try with Mandriva was in 1999 or 2000, but I immediately realized that it is not for me and changed at this time to RedHat (over the years I moved to Novell solutions).
regards
Rafal
 
Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
rlbewick
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: USA - West Coast
Distribution: Mandriva 2009
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFAL View Post
Hi
I work with opensuse and all updates are as easy as with Windows. You have only to add Mozilla repository to YaST and then you update it by selecting allays the latest version. Once you added repository (and there are several!) you always get latest version. And all dependencies will be solved by YaST (not like with manual installation or RPM installation in command line).
OpenSuse is very easy even for beginners. My last try with Mandriva was in 1999 or 2000, but I immediately realized that it is not for me and changed at this time to RedHat (over the years I moved to Novell solutions).
regards
Rafal
Thanks Rafal.

I have tried SUSE in the past but always found it difficult to find repositories. Is there an easy way to find them?

Thanks,

Rick
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
math distro....? music distro...? small distro....? jasonparent Linux - Newbie 11 02-11-2008 10:57 AM
How to convert a rpm based distro into deb (apt-get) distro ? pleasehelpme Linux - Newbie 3 02-11-2008 01:20 AM
LXer: DistroWatch Weekly: Distro hopping, Linux Format's distro mega-test LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-11-2007 05:47 AM
want to remove linux distro & replace it with a different distro deardoom Linux - Newbie 5 03-20-2006 07:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration