LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
saturnrose09
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 33

Rep: Reputation: 15
where to find wine on my computer


Hi i have a asus ee pc ive been wanting to get shockwave on it but was told i need wine first.So i took it to my local computer shop and they installed wine then shockwave player but shockwave will still not work.keeps saying i need to install it.Now i am trying to fine where it has download onto my asus so i can delete it does anyone know.Ive looked under add/remove but its not there.Or does anyone know why it is not working
 
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
cmnorton
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Ubuntu, CentOS
Posts: 585

Rep: Reputation: 35
Look through menus

Wine probably was not installed correctly. Your PC runs, I believe, a version of Ubuntu. You should be able to install it using your package manager, and if it is installed, you should be able to find it in the menus.

On Kubuntu 8.04 it is under System Settings, Advanced, System Administration.

It sounds like you're going to need to work through this with whatever package manager came with your system.
 
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 235Reputation: 235Reputation: 235
To my knowledge it won't work natively in browsers (if that's your intent) designed for Linux. I've read somewhere that a guy got Shockwave to work in a browser by installing the Windows version of Firefox after successfully installing Shockwave using WINE.
 
Old 08-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Infasoft
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Salem, Oregon
Distribution: Windows 7 home premium X86_64 | Linux
Posts: 63

Rep: Reputation: 15
Wine

Hello there!
To install wine, open the konsole.
run:
sudo apt-get install wine
It will ask you for your password. Let it install.
Then, Download any .exe (Windows Binary file) to your desktop.
open the konsole and run:
cd Desktop
Then, locate your file on the desktop, and run:
wine <DRAG THE DOWNLOADED EXE FILE HERE>
Thats it! Good luck!
 
Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
saturnrose09
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infasoft View Post
Hello there!
To install wine, open the konsole.
run:
sudo apt-get install wine
It will ask you for your password. Let it install.
Then, Download any .exe (Windows Binary file) to your desktop.
open the konsole and run:
cd Desktop
Then, locate your file on the desktop, and run:
wine <DRAG THE DOWNLOADED EXE FILE HERE>
Thats it! Good luck!
Hi i dont want to install wine i want to uninstall it but can not find it anywhere on my asus pc
 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 235Reputation: 235Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrose09 View Post
Hi i dont want to install wine i want to uninstall it but can not find it anywhere on my asus pc
This contradicts your first post? Do you want it or don't you? Did you even check to see if the package is installed?
 
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
saturnrose09
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickykid View Post
This contradicts your first post? Do you want it or don't you? Did you even check to see if the package is installed?
I did ask in my first post where i can uninstall it so i dont think i contrsdicted myself and no i didnt check if it was on there because i could not find it, And no i dont want it because it did not work.
 
Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 7,267

Rep: Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370Reputation: 1370
Wine is a hidden directory in you /home/user directory. If you are user saturn, you would open your file manager (don't know what distro you are using?) such as konqueror or nautilus. Navigate to /home/user, click on the 'View' tab at the top and there is a 'view hidden files' option. Click it and you should be able to see .wine.
 
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
saturnrose09
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks for help with wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Wine is a hidden directory in you /home/user directory. If you are user saturn, you would open your file manager (don't know what distro you are using?) such as konqueror or nautilus. Navigate to /home/user, click on the 'View' tab at the top and there is a 'view hidden files' option. Click it and you should be able to see .wine.
hi have found wine file thanks for your help
 
Old 08-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
saturnrose09
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrose09 View Post
hi have found wine file thanks for your help
i have found wine on my computer but it still wont let me install shockwave anyone know why
 
Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 235Reputation: 235Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrose09 View Post
i have found wine on my computer but it still wont let me install shockwave anyone know why
Errors? I thought you wanted to remove WINE? You can't install Shockwave without Wine. And you can't use Shockwave files currently in any native Linux browser, you have to use the standalone player unless you install a Windows based browser within Wine.
 
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
saturnrose09
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickykid View Post
Errors? I thought you wanted to remove WINE? You can't install Shockwave without Wine. And you can't use Shockwave files currently in any native Linux browser, you have to use the standalone player unless you install a Windows based browser within Wine.
yes i was going to uninsatll it but as i have found it on my computer it thought i would try and download shockwave but it still wont let me.
 
Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 235Reputation: 235Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrose09 View Post
yes i was going to uninsatll it but as i have found it on my computer it thought i would try and download shockwave but it still wont let me.
Okay so, you want me to guess what the problem is or are you gonna provide more details, like errors, steps you tried, etc? We're not mind readers you know, anything could be wrong. It could be a little troll inside your computer eating away at your cables for all we know..
 
Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
saturnrose09
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickykid View Post
Okay so, you want me to guess what the problem is or are you gonna provide more details, like errors, steps you tried, etc? We're not mind readers you know, anything could be wrong. It could be a little troll inside your computer eating away at your cables for all we know..
The problem is i took it to a computer shop they installed wine for me but shockwave still wont work i have tried to install firefox for windows but shockwave still wont work. all i wanted was shockwave on my computer dont think ill use linux again to much hassel.
 
Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 235Reputation: 235Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrose09 View Post
The problem is i took it to a computer shop they installed wine for me but shockwave still wont work i have tried to install firefox for windows but shockwave still wont work. all i wanted was shockwave on my computer dont think ill use linux again to much hassel.
And yet you still provide zero information for us to help you. Perhaps you need to go read Eric S. Raymonds "How To Ask Smart Questions". And I'm serious if you really want help from anyone on this site and community.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wine never had sound on my computer. stormrider_may Linux - Software 4 04-03-2006 02:37 AM
Wine Locks Up Computer Upon Start Up Sir Lunch-a-lot Linux - Software 0 03-04-2006 04:24 PM
Wine installation; Can't find ~/.wine/config mrmcctt Linux - Software 5 10-11-2005 06:33 PM
wine locks-up computer PapaSmurf88 Mandriva 5 06-01-2005 10:13 AM
Nobody else can find my computer aaron_mj Linux - Networking 1 10-27-2002 07:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration