LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
lakedonw
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Where do i get fedora 8 in cd size


Where can i get Fedora 8 in cd size downloads??? I download one that is over 3G and can't put it on a cd. Thanks for any an all help'

Don
 
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
alan_ri
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Croatia
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux
Posts: 1,733
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Here http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora but use live cd version for your pc(32 or 64).
 
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
weisso5
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: New York City
Distribution: Gentoo, FC
Posts: 133

Rep: Reputation: 16
Hello and Welcome Lakedonw,

You can download, burn, and install using the live CD.


Here is the link to Live CD:
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.html

Here is the link to installation guide:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal..._US/index.html

Please follow up with any problems.

-weisso
 
Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
lakedonw
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks

Thanks fellows that was a quick reply I am downloading now. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.
Don
 
Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
reddazz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 74
You can also get cd sets (based on the dvd) from Fedora Unity.
 
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
nelufarup
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisso5 View Post
Hello and Welcome Lakedonw,

You can download, burn, and install using the live CD.


Here is the link to Live CD:
httrop://fedorapject.org/get-fedora.html

Here is the link to installation guide:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal..._US/index.html

Please follow up with any problems.

-weisso
I also want to download Fedora 8 but when I go to link
httrop://fedorapject.org/get-fedora.html
there I find two options
1. Fedora Desktop Live Media
2. Fedora KDE Live Media

Which one do you suggest to download?

Thanks for the help.
 
Old 04-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
John-in-France
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 65

Rep: Reputation: 15
Either one will do - Number one uses Gnome as its desktop. Number 2 uses KDE. If you have a preference go for the one you like best - if not, install one then at leisure you can download the other desktop using the software management tools and have a look at that.

John
 
Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
nelufarup
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-in-France View Post
Either one will do - Number one uses Gnome as its desktop. Number 2 uses KDE. If you have a preference go for the one you like best - if not, install one then at leisure you can download the other desktop using the software management tools and have a look at that.

John
Thanks for the reply.
I am more comfortable with KDE.

But also tell me, I tried to download KDE and it showed me that the total file size of the iso image is somewhat like 698 MB. This will be like only one cd. Is it correct? I came to know from my friend that FC8 has in all 5 cds, where as after downloading I will have only one cd.
Plz help me in understanding this.
 
Old 04-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,362

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
There is no OFFICIAL F8 (core was dropped after FC6) CD set. As long as you have an internet connection on the linux box it is faster to yum install packages rather than installing them off the CD set. The reason being that there are so many updates in the first few weeks (after release) that right after you install them (off the CD) you need to update them (so you are effectively downloading them twice).
 
Old 04-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
nelufarup
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
There is no OFFICIAL F8 (core was dropped after FC6) CD set. As long as you have an internet connection on the linux box it is faster to yum install packages rather than installing them off the CD set. The reason being that there are so many updates in the first few weeks (after release) that right after you install them (off the CD) you need to update them (so you are effectively downloading them twice).
Can you tell me exactly how to update using yum.
Please tell me exact command. That will be helpful.
 
Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #11
nelufarup
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
There is no OFFICIAL F8 (core was dropped after FC6) CD set. As long as you have an internet connection on the linux box it is faster to yum install packages rather than installing them off the CD set. The reason being that there are so many updates in the first few weeks (after release) that right after you install them (off the CD) you need to update them (so you are effectively downloading them twice).
Can you tell me exactly how to update using yum.
Please tell me exact command. That will be helpful.
I have got FC5 on my system.
 
Old 04-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,362

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
As FC5 is beyond EOL (end of life) there are no more official updates for it of any kind.

If you mean to upgrade, just download the live cd, install, and then yum update.
 
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #13
John-in-France
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 65

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelufarup View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I am more comfortable with KDE.

But also tell me, I tried to download KDE and it showed me that the total file size of the iso image is somewhat like 698 MB. This will be like only one cd. Is it correct? I came to know from my friend that FC8 has in all 5 cds, where as after downloading I will have only one cd.
Plz help me in understanding this.
Yep, that's one 700MB (80 minute) CD. The older 650MB CDs won't do!

The Live CD is a cut down install. It only has some of the features of the full system - for instance, only KDE rather than both KDE and Gnome which your friend will have on his five CDs. However, it will let you see Fedora in all (well most) of its glory and as mentioned, you can then use the internet to fill in the gaps.

John

Last edited by John-in-France; 04-06-2008 at 07:01 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fedora 7 DVD | Reduced size!!! the_gripmaster Fedora 1 06-10-2007 08:11 AM
How to control screen size in Fedora mvnetn Linux - Distributions 2 01-06-2007 10:36 AM
Fedora Core 3 Desktop Size Question FedoraC3Guy Red Hat 1 03-16-2005 10:35 AM
Executable size - RH7.x versus Fedora Dave31836 Red Hat 1 03-04-2005 03:46 PM
Screen size in Fedora core 2 aidankitch Fedora 5 05-21-2004 04:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration