LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   When a Hard Drive nears 100% capacity will it use another Hard Drive (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/when-a-hard-drive-nears-100-capacity-will-it-use-another-hard-drive-4175428882/)

LnxNeophyte 09-24-2012 10:50 PM

When a Hard Drive nears 100% capacity will it use another Hard Drive
 
My 1 hard drive Disk /dev/sda is 95% filled
if I mount anothe hard drive Disk /dev/sdb that is empty

Will Linux fill sda at 100% and then coninue with sdb?

I dont want server errors if I fill sda at 100%
or will it start using sdb when I mount it


I want to use both drives for webspace on the same site.

suicidaleggroll 09-24-2012 10:54 PM

No. You must mount /dev/sdb to a specific location in the filesystem. Any files written to that location after mounting the drive will be placed on /dev/sdb, but files written elsewhere on the filesystem will still go on /dev/sda.

If you have a large directory on your filesystem, you could move that onto /dev/sdb and mount it in the original place to free up room on /dev/sda.

LnxNeophyte 09-24-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll (Post 4788507)
No. You must mount the drive to a specific location in the filesystem. Any files written to that location after mounting the drive will be placed on the drive, but files written elsewhere on the filesystem will still go on the original drive.

Both drives are for webspace I want the 2 TB fo space on 2 diferent hard drives, can it be done?
can I expand my webspace with 2 hard drives

suicidaleggroll 09-24-2012 11:01 PM

You could have set it up that way originally, but at this point it's going to take a lot of work (re-partitioning, reformatting, setting up LVM, etc). The system will be down while you set it up and you'll need to back up everything to another device. It will not be a quick or seamless transition.

LnxNeophyte 09-24-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll (Post 4788511)
You could have set it up that way originally, but at this point it's going to take a lot of work (re-partitioning, reformatting, setting up LVM, etc). The system will be down while you set it up, it will not be a quick or seamless transition.


WWHATT??? then how do Websites add more space when they need to exapnd my website is at 95% capacity

suicidaleggroll 09-24-2012 11:06 PM

They set things up to allow that functionality from the beginning. It's all about planning and setting up the system for its intended usage.

Neron.L 09-24-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LnxNeophyte (Post 4788502)
My 1 hard drive Disk /dev/sda is 95% filled
if I mount anothe hard drive Disk /dev/sdb that is empty

Will Linux fill sda at 100% and then coninue with sdb?

I dont want server errors if I fill sda at 100%
or will it start using sdb when I mount it


I want to use both drives for webspace on the same site.

Check whether LVM is used in your system, if yes, then you can extend your root VG by vgextend with /dev/sdb.

suicidaleggroll 09-24-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neron.L (Post 4788517)
Check whether LVM is used in your system, if yes, then you can extend your root VG by vgextend with /dev/sdb.

True. I assumed the system wasn't already set up in LVM, if it was that will simplify things.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.