LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Poll: How do you find out your root password???
Poll Options
How do you find out your root password???

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

i dont know
i know, i will reply to your question in a min. telling you how or what it is

Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry What is the root password???


never mind, i found it out, thanks everyone

Last edited by joejack_2; 12-22-2006 at 02:23 AM.
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,415

Rep: Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968
you enetered the password when you installed linux, *IF* you're using a conventional distro like fedora, suse, mandriva. it helps if you tell us some useful information here though like what your distro actually is. ther eis no standard default root password.
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
well...

i have installed something called: Ubunto, it is like linux.
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #4
Simon Bridge
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
"root" is the name of the user with administration privileges. The "root" password is the password you need to log in as the root user.

The root password is assigned during the distro's installation - by the person who installs it. So it is unusual that someone would not know what it is.

Some systems, like ubuntu, do not have a root user at all. Instead, the administrator is the first user created during the installation. This user can act as root by using the "sudo" command. In this case, a password is also required: the user password.

If you do not know what the root password is, then it is unlikely that you have a right to it. Ask your administrator about what you need.

If you are the administrator - how is it you didn't remember the root password you created?
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Simon Bridge
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
i have installed something called: Ubunto, it is like linux.
Ubuntu dosn't have a root user. The first user created is the admin - you use "sudo".

Read: http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,415

Rep: Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968Reputation: 1968
Ubuntu is "like" linux? are Fords "like" cars? well that was the case where there is no root password, and you're reading wrong instructions.
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bridge
Ubuntu dosn't have a root user. The first user created is the admin - you use "sudo".

Read: http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy
So do i type sudo in the termanal??? and then enter the password that i setted ubunto up with, is that right???
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:54 AM   #8
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie
Ubuntu is "like" linux? are Fords "like" cars? well that was the case where there is no root password, and you're reading wrong instructions.
oh, ok, i thought it was linux in some way, well i will try to find out some other way, thanks anyways!!!
 
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
Broder
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, C.A.
Distribution: Mood dependent
Posts: 117

Rep: Reputation: 15
joejack_2: Ubuntu is one of many different linux distributions so you are asking in the right place. Usually on a linux operating system you would have a root user who has administrative privileges and at least one user. It would appear that Ubuntu works slightly differently than this, based on what Simon has said so in order to perform a root command, type sudo your_command into the terminal /commandline.
 
Old 12-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #10
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bridge
"root" is the name of the user with administration privileges. The "root" password is the password you need to log in as the root user.

The root password is assigned during the distro's installation - by the person who installs it. So it is unusual that someone would not know what it is.

Some systems, like ubuntu, do not have a root user at all. Instead, the administrator is the first user created during the installation. This user can act as root by using the "sudo" command. In this case, a password is also required: the user password.

If you do not know what the root password is, then it is unlikely that you have a right to it. Ask your administrator about what you need.

If you are the administrator - how is it you didn't remember the root password you created?
yes, i installed it myself, i din't know what it meant by the root password, do you know anything else about ubunto, i was wondering what i should do if the add-ons are not downloading, i mean they download, but dont install, do you know anything about that???
 
Old 12-21-2006, 06:07 AM   #11
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelda
joejack_2: Ubuntu is one of many different linux distributions so you are asking in the right place. Usually on a linux operating system you would have a root user who has administrative privileges and at least one user. It would appear that Ubuntu works slightly differently than this, based on what Simon has said so in order to perform a root command, type sudo your_command into the terminal /commandline.
ok, thanks!!!
 
Old 12-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #12
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelda
joejack_2: Ubuntu is one of many different linux distributions so you are asking in the right place. Usually on a linux operating system you would have a root user who has administrative privileges and at least one user. It would appear that Ubuntu works slightly differently than this, based on what Simon has said so in order to perform a root command, type sudo your_command into the terminal /commandline.
another problem, i entered that, it said "password:" so i entered the password, and now all the sudden it says that the cammand is not found, so what do i do???
 
Old 12-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
saikee
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Distribution: Any free distro.
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 112Reputation: 112
If you run a system commands that affects the integrity of the system Linux likes it from the root user or the Administrator(in Windows term). It is really for your own good.

Without the root password you can still use most of the system commands (how much is dependent how the distro is put together) by preceeding each command with "sudo".

For example if Ubuntu refuses the command
Code:
fdisk -l
it will answer the call of
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
If you want to become a root user in Ubuntu you can do so by the following steps

(1) Get hold of a Live CD that permits a root log in, like one from the Slax family.

(2) Boot up this Live CD and log in as root

(3) Make a temporary directory in the boot-up Linux to mount Ubuntu (say it is hda1)

(4) Change root to it

(5) You will then inherit the root privilege of Ubuntu and as such you now have the right to change the root password using the terminal command "passwd".

Full set of commands after log in as root from a Live CD
Code:
mkdir /mnt/temp
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/temp
chroot /mnt/temp
passwd XXXX
Where XXXX is your chosen password. You then repeat with the password again. To see the result just remove the Live CD and type
Code:
exit
reboot
From now on, by typing your password whenever Ubuntu asks, you will be treated as the rightful root user.

It is a good practice not to log in as root so that your Linux is adequately protected. Log in as root means if you suffer from a virus attack it will spread from the root user level down to every part of the operating system. The difficulties you experience for not being the root user is the very defence Linux has engineered to protect unwarranted interference from the non-authorised usage.

There is a trend that many new releases of distros are withdrawing log in as root and so developing the ability to work competently as an ordinary user in Linux can only be good for every Linux user.

Last edited by saikee; 12-21-2006 at 06:30 AM.
 
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
joejack_2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikee
If you run a system commands that affects the integrity of the system Linux likes it from the root user or the Administrator(in Windows term). It is really for your own good.

Without the root password you can still use most of the system commands (how much is dependent how the distro is put together) by preceeding each command with "sudo".

For example if Ubuntu refuses the command
Code:
fdisk -l
it will answer the call of
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
If you want to become a root user in Ubuntu you can do so by the following steps

(1) Get hold of a Live CD that permits a root log in, like one from the Slax family.

(2) Boot up this Live CD and log in as root

(3) Make a temporary directory in the boot-up Linux to mount Ubuntu (say it is hda1)

(4) Change root to it

(5) You will then inherit the root privilege of Ubuntu and as such you now have the right to change the root password using the terminal command "passwd".

Full set of commands after log in as root from a Live CD
Code:
mkdir /mnt/temp
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/temp
chroot /mnt/temp
passwd XXXX
Where XXXX is your chosen password. You then repeat with the password again. To see the result just remove the Live CD and type
Code:
exit
reboot
From now on, by typing your password whenever Ubuntu asks, you will be treated as the rightful root user.
oh, ok, i will try that, cause i am the root user, but it does not work, well i will try that, thanks
 
Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #15
saikee
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Distribution: Any free distro.
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 112Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack_2
oh, ok, i will try that, cause i am the root user, but it does not work, well i will try that, thanks
Based on a fair number of distros I installed I realise that many installers can be faulty and have bugs. It is not uncommon that a user's root password isn't properly recorded after an installation. Happened to me a few times too.
 
  


Closed Thread

Tags
help, root


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How could normal user obtain root password or change root password ckamheng Debian 18 02-18-2009 11:28 PM
How to retrieve( or reset) root password in Mandrake Linux, as I forgot my password? Reghunath Linux - Software 4 05-08-2008 05:11 AM
change Root Password even if the password in the grub is also set sheelnidhi Linux - General 6 08-30-2006 08:27 AM
Logged in as root, prompted for root password ta0kira Slackware 13 04-25-2005 02:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration