LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,506

Rep: Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102

FWIW I prefer makemkv for ripping dvd and bluray movies. It works great, DRM is never a problem, and you can later use handbrake or similar to compress the mkv files into your preferred format.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,664

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
^ ok, that looks like you got yourself a good answer to your original question :-)



the AUDIO_TS folder is there only for backwards compatibility, but i've never seen a dvd that actually stores something (an audio track presumably) in it.
as you said, the audio is inside the video track.
Interesting.
 
Old 05-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,664

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
FWIW I prefer makemkv for ripping dvd and bluray movies. It works great, DRM is never a problem, and you can later use handbrake or similar to compress the mkv files into your preferred format.
Thanks. Looks good but pretty complicated to get though. http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Is it as complicated to get as that page's instructions seem? (It looks pretty easy to get until it gets to
Quote:
OPTIONAL: Building with latest libavcodec
. )
 
Old 05-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,506

Rep: Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102
I didn't have to do any of that extra stuff on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, just:
Code:
zypper in libavcodec-devel fdk-aac-devel
cd makemkv-oss*
./configure
make -j 4
make install
cd ../makemkv-bin*
make -j 4
make install
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #20
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,664

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
I didn't have to do any of that extra stuff on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, just:
Code:
zypper in libavcodec-devel fdk-aac-devel
cd makemkv-oss*
./configure
make -j 4
make install
cd ../makemkv-bin*
make -j 4
make install
Thanks a lot, suicide. (Esp. for the commands--that makes it easy.) I'll try it.
 
Old 05-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,664

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks a lot, suicide. (Esp. for the commands--that makes it easy.) I'll try it.
I'm wondering though, suicide, if your commands are for SUSE only and if I'm running Xubuntu, which is xfce, maybe I should use different commands to get it. I ask, (I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of stuff.) because I ran the first command and got this:

Code:
gregg@LG:~/Desktop$ zypper in libavcodec-devel fdk-aac-devel
The program 'zypper' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install zypper
gregg@LG:~/Desktop$
Then I googled Zypper and got:

Quote:
Zypper is a command line tool for package management in OpenSUSE and SUSE Enterprise Linux platforms.
So I thought maybe I'd be better off following the generic instructions:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224.

But as it is, I'd rather do yours (including getting Zypper) because that way I won't have to fool around with those tar downloads.
 
Old 05-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #22
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,506

Rep: Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102
zypper is the openSUSE package manager, you'd need to use apt-get instead and change the package names to reflect what Ubuntu calls them (which is specified in that link you just posted). The rest would be the same. You could also just skip that step and pay attention to the output of ./configure to see if there are any missing packages, and install the ones it complains about.

Last edited by suicidaleggroll; 05-16-2016 at 02:29 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:32 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,664

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
zypper is the openSUSE package manager, you'd need to use apt-get instead and change the package names to reflect what Ubuntu calls them (which is specified in that link you just posted). The rest would be the same. You could also just skip that step and pay attention to the output of ./configure to see if there are any missing packages, and install the ones it complains about.
Thanks suicide. Well, I already have apt-get installed. So:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev
cd makemkv-oss*
./configure
make -j 4
make install
cd ../makemkv-bin*
make -j 4
make install
And I'm not sure about the downloading and unpacking of those tar files. I downloaded them and extracted them into separate folders on my Desktop.

And see the screenshot. Like they have:

Quote:
For makemkv-oss package:
They have it like you have to do things in order (first for the oss package and then the bin package), and really this tar file stuff is not my strong suit to begin with.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_089.png
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	21795  
 
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
L4ZerPen
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2016
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I use k9copy to rip my dvds to a folder. Then, I use growisofs to burn the disc.

Code:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video dvd1/
If I want only main video title, I'd use handbrake to make a video mp4 file.


For dvd authoring, I use tovid
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #25
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,506

Rep: Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks suicide. Well, I already have apt-get installed. So:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev
cd makemkv-oss*
./configure
make -j 4
make install
cd ../makemkv-bin*
make -j 4
make install
And I'm not sure about the downloading and unpacking of those tar files. I downloaded them and extracted them into separate folders on my Desktop.

And see the screenshot. Like they have:



They have it like you have to do things in order (first for the oss package and then the bin package), and really this tar file stuff is not my strong suit to begin with.

Thanks.
Was there a question in there? Is there anything specific you're confused about?

You said you downloaded and extracted the tarballs, so just cd into the directories and run the configure and make commands.
 
Old 05-16-2016, 11:51 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,664

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ZerPen View Post
I use k9copy to rip my dvds to a folder. Then, I use growisofs to burn the disc.

Code:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video dvd1/
If I want only main video title, I'd use handbrake to make a video mp4 file.


For dvd authoring, I use tovid
Hey L4ZerPen. Welcome to Linux Questions.

Thanks for the info. I've got handbrake already but will check out growisofs and tovid. Appreciate it.
 
Old 05-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,664

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
Was there a question in there? Is there anything specific you're confused about?

You said you downloaded and extracted the tarballs, so just cd into the directories and run the configure and make commands.
Thanks suicide. Yeah, I'm a little confused about the tarballs. So I extracted them into a folder that I created. (A separate one for each.) Then you say cd the tarballs (so is that to say to cd the folders I created? Is that acceptable?) into the directories. What directories are you referring to? And so once I get that straightend out then just run the below commands?

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev
cd makemkv-oss*
./configure
make -j 4
make install
cd ../makemkv-bin*
make -j 4
make install
Thanks.
 
Old 05-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #28
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,027

Rep: Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481Reputation: 481
I use makemkv also
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #29
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,506

Rep: Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks suicide. Yeah, I'm a little confused about the tarballs. So I extracted them into a folder that I created. (A separate one for each.) Then you say cd the tarballs (so is that to say to cd the folders I created? Is that acceptable?) into the directories. What directories are you referring to? And so once I get that straightend out then just run the below commands?

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev
cd makemkv-oss*
./configure
make -j 4
make install
cd ../makemkv-bin*
make -j 4
make install
Thanks.
Extract the tarball, cd into the directory it creates, and run the corresponding configure and make commands. It follows the standard build process for Linux source code, eg:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/06/...l-from-source/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth, end border$! ◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 3,564
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1071Reputation: 1071Reputation: 1071Reputation: 1071Reputation: 1071Reputation: 1071Reputation: 1071Reputation: 1071
I sometimes wind up using VLC or a desktop recorders to backup my movies not to mention why I have a hard drive to shuffle them on.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which distro to rip and burn dvds slack31337 Linux - Desktop 8 10-13-2008 08:22 PM
Can K3b Rip, Convert, and Burn DVDs? deepgrewal Linux - Software 4 08-27-2007 10:58 AM
Dvd:rip / transcode users: when you rip dvds, is the output file the size you expect? 144419855310001 Linux - Software 0 09-02-2006 08:56 AM
k3b won't burn CD-R's but does burn DVDs. Livino Linux - Newbie 6 03-18-2006 05:51 PM
Can't rip DVDs with dvd::rip Hammett Linux - Software 2 10-27-2003 08:35 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration