LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
daniell
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 15
What Happened to Ubuntu


For some time I have been double booting Ubuntu with Vista. Suddenly when I want to boot into Ubuntu, I get a very long list of errors. Eventually it went to Ubuntu. Does anybody know what is going on, and how can I fix it?

Thanks
 
Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
aus9
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,056

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
hi

it might help if you post inside a code box...the list of errors...try /var/log/dmesg for a start?

Can you press control + alt + F1 to get back to login messages and see them on the screen?

To get back press cnt + alt + F7

If you can see them on the screen but not in logs....install fbgrab....apt-get install fbgrab

Code:
fbgrab -c 1 /root/errors.png
 
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
daniell
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus9 View Post
hi

it might help if you post inside a code box...the list of errors...try /var/log/dmesg for a start?

Can you press control + alt + F1 to get back to login messages and see them on the screen?

To get back press cnt + alt + F7

If you can see them on the screen but not in logs....install fbgrab....apt-get install fbgrab

Code:
fbgrab -c 1 /root/errors.png
There are many pages of errors. They all seem to be /read errors, whatever that means. Afterwards, it boots up, and seem to work ok.
 
Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
btmiller
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: In the DC 'burbs
Distribution: Arch, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 4,082

Rep: Reputation: 299Reputation: 299Reputation: 299
It would really help if you could post a few representative errors. I am not sure what a /read error is (never come acrosssuch a thing), but it sounds like some sort of I/O error. Has the Ubuntu system been shutdown uncleanly any time recently?
 
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
daniell
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmiller View Post
It would really help if you could post a few representative errors. I am not sure what a /read error is (never come acrosssuch a thing), but it sounds like some sort of I/O error. Has the Ubuntu system been shutdown uncleanly any time recently?
I would love to upload a sample of the errors but I think that I reached my allowed amount.
 
Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
daniell
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniell View Post
I would love to upload a sample of the errors but I think that I reached my allowed amount.
What do I do now that I reached my Upload capacity?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what happened to PPC versions of Ubuntu? nightwalker1977 Ubuntu 2 05-29-2008 03:49 AM
What Happened? troycus Linux - Newbie 3 04-01-2008 09:12 PM
MS to Ubuntu to PCLOS to Mepis: how it happened -- a journey filosofic Linux - Newbie 1 03-29-2008 11:50 PM
What happened to LQ? Joey.Dale LQ Suggestions & Feedback 4 04-10-2004 04:02 PM
what happened? chief Linux - Software 8 08-04-2003 11:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration