LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
faikjalal
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
What are the differences between Oracle Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux?


what is the difference between OEL an red hat linux.
thx
 
Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 18,504

Rep: Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by faikjalal View Post
what is the difference between OEL an red hat linux.
thx
Please, read the LQ Rules and the posting guidelines. Text-speak really isn't nice to use, and subject lines of "Help Me", tell us NOTHING about your question.

And if you want to know the differences between Oracle Enterprise Linux, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, then you should read the web pages for both of them. In short, OEL is tuned for Oracle, while RHEL isn't. RHEL CAN be, but doesn't ship tuned for Oracle, and may not include some packages you need.

And importantly, NEITHER OF THEM ARE FREE...if you're going to use them for more than 30 days, you need to PAY FOR THEM.
 
Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
kilgoretrout
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,498

Rep: Reputation: 193Reputation: 193
OEL is from Oracle and is essentially a clone of Redhat's RHEL with certain optimizations included to supposedly run Oracle's database applications better. Oracle's database applications were originally designed to run on RHEL which allowed Redhat to collect the RHEL support fees from Oracle's customers. By cloning RHEL, Oracle sought to cut out Redhat and keep those support fees for itself.
 
Old 09-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Andrewlpchan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
OEL is from Oracle and is essentially a clone of Redhat's RHEL with certain optimizations included to supposedly run Oracle's database applications better. Oracle's database applications were originally designed to run on RHEL which allowed Redhat to collect the RHEL support fees from Oracle's customers. By cloning RHEL, Oracle sought to cut out Redhat and keep those support fees for itself.
As supplementary. OEL provide predefined package for oracle database installation whereas RHEL may require extra-package installation by yum. Actually if you choosing the distro, it is better to select the one which has customer support.
 
Old 09-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 18,504

Rep: Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985Reputation: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewlpchan View Post
As supplementary. OEL provide predefined package for oracle database installation whereas RHEL may require extra-package installation by yum. Actually if you choosing the distro, it is better to select the one which has customer support.
They BOTH have customer support...if you PAY FOR IT.
 
Old 09-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Andrewlpchan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
They BOTH have customer support...if you PAY FOR IT.
Absolutely.Just a gentle reminder that some of Linux dont have such service.OR plan to not use the service, it is alittle recommendation for consideration in linux installation planning.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compatibility of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4 and Oracle 9i tecutech Linux - Software 1 09-10-2007 10:21 AM
loading oracle 10.1.0.3 for O.S.(Linux ES4 (Red Hat Enterprise Edition)) rohitc Linux - Enterprise 6 12-08-2006 12:44 PM
Oracle 9i on Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (WS) ptreves Linux - Software 3 08-25-2004 02:02 PM
Oracle 9i on Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 (WS) ptreves Linux - Distributions 2 08-25-2004 01:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration