Regarding using linux I use it for the following reasons:
1) I'm not supporting a multinational that are providing a mediocre product at exceptionally high prices.
2) It's highly configurable so you can get it to work exactly how you want it to and look exactly how you want it to.
3) You don't have to install all the added "extras" that you don't want that take up loads of space/processing power.
4) Don't need to defrag (wtf is up with that?).
5) You don't need an antivirus.
6) You don't have to CONSTANTLY restart your machine everytime you make some tiny adjustment.
7) It's free!
8) Information is shared to advance the development.
9) You have multiple desktops (have yet to find one that works perfectly on windows).
10)It can run with the minimum hardware requirements, doesn't vista need a gig of RAM? Vista = XP + added visuals to make it run slower.
11) It's not hard to use, windows is just 'intuitive' because people are used to it. If you've never used it, it's not intuitive.
12) There is an endless supply of really good software.
There is an enormous amount of Operating Systems out there and I'd rank windows right at the bottom of the list.
Will finish my rant now
Go the linux route, you'll enjoy it! There's alot of knowledgeable people in here that can help you on your way too!