Originally Posted by syahrizal
I have made this website for Linux user . I need your comments...
OK. What was the reason for changing from malaysia-opensource.blogspot.com to www.linuxrise.com
or what makes it worth doing that?
I won't comment on layout or themes because if the basics are lacking (content, mostly) then no thousand dollar theme is going to fix that:
- If this site is endorsed by or is an initiative of the Malaysian Open Source Centre then you should advertise and link to it prominently: it lends the site relatively more credibility than YAWL (yet another web log) by mr A. nonymousposter.
- Some items, like a license or disclaimer, are unalienable parts of a site: they should not be hosted elsewhere. BTW both don't amount to much and are you sure to choose GPL over CC?
- You should not link to sites like linux.com or sourceforge.net without good reason (highlight news or software?) and clear indication: you just lose visitors, get nothing in return and without clear indication (link title, marker) a link taking visitors off site is just confusing.
- You should know what makes your audience tick and how what you offer stands out from the rest: right now the news section shows text copied from elsewhere and without adding any value to it.
- /open-source-software and /popular-software are the same. Get rid of one of them or populate the section properly.
- I would trust shopping more if it would be over SSL right from the start and if where it reads "product detail" it actually links to a page that *shows* interesting product details.
- From looking at which user wrote articles you did not create a separate user to write them but used the Administrator account. Even in CMS privilege separation is a good thing.
- Most of all you left your /administrator/ accessable (mod_security, .htaccess) so I suggest you learn more about using Joomla and the basic security measures posted in their forum and Wiki.
I wish you good luck with your site because you will have to work hard continuously to earn and keep a place in the sun.