LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 304

Rep: Reputation: 20
Web-Site/Page maker


What is the best and easiest Web-Site/Page maker for Linux?
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
wpeckham
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, Vsido, tinycore, Q4OS
Posts: 2,139

Rep: Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849
I know this is not what you intended, but

The best I have found is perl. I am quite certain that is not what you mean, but I have always gotten the best results by studying html and coding my own page creation systems.
Others tend to underuse CSS, overuse things like tables and forms, and take more time to generate heavier and slower loading pages.
I like FAST. I have no use for slow loading pages. (Both a business and personal preference.) Most automated systems created poorly optimized pages that are not even entirely to w3 standards.

But perhaps I assume too much. Are you looking for an html editor, automated or dynamic page creation systems - perhaps database fed, a document system, ...
In other words, please provide more detail about your purpose, requirements, and from where you are starting.
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
beachboy2
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Wild West Wales, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 18 MATE, antiX-16.1, MX-16
Posts: 2,061
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746
gael33,

Bluefish and Screem are pretty good. Have a look at these:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/linuxu...ml_editors.htm

As the actual base for a website, look no further than WordPress:

https://wordpress.org/

It is easy to maintain your website via the Dashboard.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 304

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
The best I have found is perl. I am quite certain that is not what you mean, but I have always gotten the best results by studying html and coding my own page creation systems.
Others tend to underuse CSS, overuse things like tables and forms, and take more time to generate heavier and slower loading pages.
I like FAST. I have no use for slow loading pages. (Both a business and personal preference.) Most automated systems created poorly optimized pages that are not even entirely to w3 standards.

But perhaps I assume too much. Are you looking for an html editor, automated or dynamic page creation systems - perhaps database fed, a document system, ...
In other words, please provide more detail about your purpose, requirements, and from where you are starting.
I posted this as a noobie because I don't have any computer technical skills. I'm almost 70 but I can find my way around a computer and I am still capable of learning some of the more simple things. I think programming is beyond my capabilities. I was looking for an easy to use ready out of the box programme, although for younger more adept youngsters your suggestion is very interesting.
Thanks.
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
beachboy2
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Wild West Wales, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 18 MATE, antiX-16.1, MX-16
Posts: 2,061
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746
gael33,

Some background information here:

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/in...eating-website
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 304

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
gael33,

Some background information here:

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/in...eating-website
Extremely interesting and I thank you for that link.
I was however looking for something ready made as at my age I may not live long enough to build
I website from scratch
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
beachboy2
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Wild West Wales, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 18 MATE, antiX-16.1, MX-16
Posts: 2,061
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746
gael33,

Quote:
I was however looking for something ready made as at my age I may not live long enough to build
I website from scratch.
Blogger is just the thing for you.

If you want to get the feel of producing your own website or blog and keep it private/unpublished, just for your own personal use, then I suggest that you open a Google Blogger account:

Step-by-Step guide:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Crea...rcom/?ALLSTEPS

Keeping your blog private:
http://www.mintblogger.com/2008/10/h...n-blogger.html

You can create as many blogs as you like in your Blogger account.
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 304

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
gael33,



Blogger is just the thing for you.

If you want to get the feel of producing your own website or blog and keep it private/unpublished, just for your own personal use, then I suggest that you open a Google Blogger account:

Step-by-Step guide:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Crea...rcom/?ALLSTEPS

Keeping your blog private:
http://www.mintblogger.com/2008/10/h...n-blogger.html

You can create as many blogs as you like in your Blogger account.
Okay, I'll give that a go and see how I get on with it ... Thanks.
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
Habitual
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,249
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289Reputation: 2289
You have a Personal Blog capability here at LQ.
 
Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
sidzen
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2014
Location: Inland PNW
Distribution: slackware & related distros
Posts: 109

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Perhaps Weebly Dran and Drop is what you are looking for?
 
Old 01-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #11
wpeckham
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, Vsido, tinycore, Q4OS
Posts: 2,139

Rep: Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849
new stuff is fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gael33 View Post
I posted this as a noobie because I don't have any computer technical skills. I'm almost 70 but I can find my way around a computer and I am still capable of learning some of the more simple things. I think programming is beyond my capabilities. I was looking for an easy to use ready out of the box programme, although for younger more adept youngsters your suggestion is very interesting.
Thanks.
I turn 65 this year, but have been working computer 'stuff' since 1969. To me it would be natural to code something, but I do understand.

What kind of project are you working on? The blog sites mentioned are enough for a blog, but there are limits on what you can customize. If we had an better idea what you want to do, we might better target our suggestions.
 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
TxLonghorn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Austin Texas
Distribution: Mandrake 9.2
Posts: 655

Rep: Reputation: 212Reputation: 212Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by gael33 View Post
What is the best and easiest Web-Site/Page maker for Linux?
I create and/or edit web pages every day, and using the Seamonkey Composer is as simple as using a word processor.
The Seamonkey Composer is one of the elements in the Seamonkey Suite - along with the Seamonkey browser and Seamonkey Mail.

You did not mention which type of linux distro you are using, but for my ubuntu based distro, to get Seamonkey I install the ubuntuzilla ppa.
I use the following command to add it to my sources.list from a terminal:
(Click on "Select All" to highlight it - and then copy the command.)
Code:
echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
Then I add the package signing key to my keyring, by running the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
Update the package database:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Install the Seamonkey Suite:
Code:
sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

When you first open Seamonkey, it will open the web browser. To open the html editor (Composer) click on the Window menu at the top, or the Composer icon at the bottom.

If you want it to always open the Composer instead of the web browser, change the launcher to read:
seamonkey -editor u

For a simple sample web page I created (many years ago) with Seamonkey Composer - http://www.caverdan.com/patpage.html
or a newer one: http://caverdan.com/Mint17themes.html

Last edited by TxLonghorn; 01-11-2016 at 07:18 AM.
 
Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
POSIX
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I've used the website builder from 1&1 and had a good experience with it. Wordpress is also good, but then you are limited to a pre-designed theme. Really there are a lot of good options out there. It all depends on what kind of site you are aiming for and how much coding knowledge that you have.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the alternative of the macromedia flash & web page maker in Linux? deependra garg Linux - Newbie 1 03-16-2011 12:53 PM
[SOLVED] Need Python or Perl script to create a default web page on hosting site chilali Linux - Server 2 08-03-2009 05:41 AM
after moving web site to new server - certificate error loading https page jayunplugged Linux - General 3 03-06-2008 12:00 PM
web site home page displays path in browser boxenberg Linux - Server 1 02-28-2008 11:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration