wall hangs on tty_write system call for about 15 minutes on debian 2.6 kernel
My system was about 20% cpu utilization. Console was open and some other terminals were oepn.
0. system info Linux Node1 2.6.10-telco-1.35.1-mckinley-smp #1 SMP Sun Nov 18 20:58:46 UTC 2007 ia64 GNU/Linux
1. System had invoked shutdown -r now commmand
2. As part of it , it was putting wall message to all ttys
The wall message is "The system is going down for reboot NOW!"
3. We found that wall was hanging for 15mins and was not posting this message to tty.
4. Because of above reason, shutdown was hanging for about 15 minutes.
system ("while ( true );do sleep 25;date >> $rnps;ps -emo pid,ppid,psr,pcpu,pmem,vsz,rss,lwp,state,time,wchan=WIDE-WIDE-WCHAN-COLUMN,args>> $rnps; echo >> $rnps;done &");
echo "System is about to reboot Now " | wall
shutdown -r now
Below is seen for about 15-mins as captured from ps -e
30133 30131 - 0.0 0.0 3632 1744 - - 00:00:00 -/usr/bin/wall
- - 3 0.0 - - - 30133 S 00:00:00 tty_write
System hardware informations. System is connected to minicom and console
hp Z7849B server cx2600
BMC Sub ID = 0x0107
BMC = 2.33
EFI = 1.10
MP = E.03.15
System = 1.10
Last edited by kspradhan; 08-16-2008 at 06:46 PM.