I installed REL5 and wanted to get VNC to work.
I followed the instructions in redhat's knowledge base to setup VNC access on EL5 but when I use my vncviewer on ...:1 it does not corect.
Here is what I did
1) As root - update the file /etc/sysconfig/vncservers to add an entry like VNCSERVERS="1:userabc" where 1 will be the port number to use and userabc is the user who can use vnc – DO NOT use port 0
2) Sign on as the users (in this case userabc) and run the command “vncpasswd” this sets the password for the user
3) Go into the users home directory (ie /home/userabc) and then “cd .vnc” and do a “chmod 755 xstartup”.
4) As root do “service vncserver start” and you should see the message “Starting VNC server: 1:userabc” or something like that
5) In order for the vncserver service to start during the boot sequence, run the following command “chkconfig vncserver on”
6) To check if everything is ok do “chkconfig --list vncserver” and you should get output like this “vncserver 0
My vncservers file has the following entry
VNCSERVERARGS="-geometry 800x600 -nolisten tcp -nohttpd -localhost"
I can see that VNC is starting after even a reboot
[root@andromeda sysconfig]# ps -eaf | grep vnc
userabc 3687 1 0 18:13 ? 00:00:00 Xvnc :1 -desktop andromeda:1 (toreilly) -auth /home/userabc/.Xauthority -geometry 800x600 -depth 16 -rfbwait 30000 -rfbauth /home/userabc/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5901 -pn -nolisten tcp -localhost
userabc 3699 1 0 18:13 ? 00:00:00 vncconfig -iconic
root 6330 6128 0 19:54 pts/2 00:00:00 grep vnc
Is there something I am missing as I still can't get VNC to work?
I understand that this is setup for user userabc, so after that works I would like to set it up for the consol :0 itself.
Any help wuld be appreciated