LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Billy Makk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy Virtual Box display


I have VirtualBox installed. When I load an OS, a dialog box comes up saying that the guest OS is set to 24 bit color mode and needs to be set at 32 bit.
I do not know how to find the properties so that I can change it to 32 bit.
Also, I am unable to capture the mouse into VB. I did try rt/ctrl, it asks if I want to capture the mouse, I click yes, but nothing.
It has happened with Fedora, and now I with Android, (guest OS).
Mouse integration works with Ubuntu.
With the color mode not being correct, can that affect mouse integration?
Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Billy Makk; 06-22-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Clearer info
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
scheidel21
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: CT
Distribution: Debian 6-7, WIN 7-10, WIN SRV 03-12r2
Posts: 1,309

Rep: Reputation: 98
Color will not have anything to do with the mouse being captured. As a matter of fact the color issue has nothing to do with VirtualBox per se, the setting you need to change will be on the guest OS in color depth settings of your X server, or whatever the GUI interface is. As far as capturing the mouse goes, there would be no problems unless the guest OS doesn't have proper mouse support, if you are only having issues with Android as a guest, maybe it's the guest OS drivers?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 8,576
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Makk View Post
I have VirtualBox installed. When I load an OS, a dialog box comes up saying that the guest OS is set to 24 bit color mode and needs to be set at 32 bit.
I do not know how to find the properties so that I can change it to 32 bit.
Same as you would to configure the same OS running on real haardware. Which guest OS is it or are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Makk View Post
Also, I am unable to capture the mouse into VB. I did try rt/ctrl, it asks if I want to capture the mouse, I click yes, but nothing.
...
Any other thoughts?
Have you installed VirtualBox Guest Additions? If so, in which guests? What is the host OS? What is the real mouse (PS/2, USB ...)?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Billy Makk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheidel21 View Post
Color will not have anything to do with the mouse being captured. As a matter of fact the color issue has nothing to do with VirtualBox per se, the setting you need to change will be on the guest OS in color depth settings of your X server, or whatever the GUI interface is. As far as capturing the mouse goes, there would be no problems unless the guest OS doesn't have proper mouse support, if you are only having issues with Android as a guest, maybe it's the guest OS drivers?
Yea, I didnt really think that had anything to do with it.
It didnt work with Fedora, (mouse capture), either. It does work with Ubuntu, hmm.
I just figured out. I had to go to VB/machine/disable mouse integration.
So it doesnt support mouse integration, like it said it did.
I still need to change the color mode.
Ill report back later.
Thanks
 
Old 06-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Billy Makk
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
Same as you would to configure the same OS running on real haardware. Which guest OS is it or are they?
Have you installed VirtualBox Guest Additions? If so, in which guests? What is the host OS? What is the real mouse (PS/2, USB ...)?
I havent installed any guest additions, that I know of, except the operating systems, (Android and Fedora).
I figured out the mouse problem.
I still need to do the color mode.
Thanks, ill report back later.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
scheidel21
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: CT
Distribution: Debian 6-7, WIN 7-10, WIN SRV 03-12r2
Posts: 1,309

Rep: Reputation: 98
You need to install the guest additions in the Virtual machine OS (guest OS)then the mouse integration will work. Maybe Ubuntu had the package all ready installed and Fedora didn't? I don't think there is an installer for Android though.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unable to auto mount 'shared folder' iin Suse 11.2 virtual machine using Virtual Box marvinudy Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 1 02-03-2010 03:29 PM
Running virtual pc files in a virtual machine in linux ... preferably virtual box biharibong Linux - Software 4 01-21-2009 02:04 PM
Ubuntu display problem under virtual box jmite Linux - Newbie 1 10-19-2008 01:44 PM
Virtual Box Blackbar Linux - Software 1 06-05-2007 08:25 PM
Virtual Box. Removing a shared folder inside virtual xp. glore2002 Linux - Software 2 05-20-2007 12:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration