LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Very Low Quality Internet Connection


Hey Guys!

I have installed double boot Linux, so if i'll compare it to my Windows 8 Connection it's very LQ it's so much LQ sometimes it don't even connects. I'm using Wi-Fi Public connection.
 
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530
How about posting technical details like card HW specs (lspci), driver used (lsmod) and device output (iwconfig / netconf)?
 
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Intel(R) Centrion(R) Wireless-N 1030 for now it do not even connect ... to the wifi ... no it connects to the wifi it says that i'm connected but i can't reach the sites ... hour ago i reachd google.com for 3 seconds and that's all ...


p.s i'll write other information now ... you need sudo ip addr this one yes?

Last edited by F793Syncmaster; 10-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.
 
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by F793Syncmaster View Post
i'll write other information now ... you need sudo ip addr this one yes?
Seems there may be problems with the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 in some N-type networks. If it's a combo Bluetooth / Wifi card try disabling Bluetooth if you don't need it. Unless the wireless router only supports N see if you can configure it to fall back to G (rather not B but even that would be preferable over no wireless at all). As for commands run
Code:
sudo lspci -v | tee /tmp/output.txt
sudo lsmod | tee -a /tmp/output.txt
sudo iwconfig | tee -a /tmp/output.txt
then check "/tmp/output.txt", remove any personal identifiers and attach it to your reply as plain text.
 
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Seems there may be problems with the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 in some N-type networks. If it's a combo Bluetooth / Wifi card try disabling Bluetooth if you don't need it. Unless the wireless router only supports N see if you can configure it to fall back to G (rather not B but even that would be preferable over no wireless at all). As for commands run
Code:
sudo lspci -v | tee /tmp/output.txt
sudo lsmod | tee -a /tmp/output.txt
sudo iwconfig | tee -a /tmp/output.txt
then check "/tmp/output.txt", remove any personal identifiers and attach it to your reply as plain text.
OK now i'll login with linux and try that ... but i don't know i don't think that its wireless problem coz now i'm using that wireless card on my windows8 (its double boot) and it works really fine ... on linux it stopped working when i was installing wine (sudo apt-get install wine) it was like on 80% i think and it stopped working ...
 
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
SO here it is as you asked.

sudo lspci -v | tee /tmp/output.txt
sudo lsmod | tee -a /tmp/output.txt
sudo iwconfig | tee -a /tmp/output.txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt output1.txt (10.0 KB, 11 views)
 
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530
Thanks for posting. iwconfig shows not much excessive retries (42), link quality kind of low (31/70) and bit rate way low at 1 Mb/s and Tx-Power at 15 dBm. Power management is off (power_save=N) so we don't have to deal with that. If this is a combo Bluetooth / Wifi card you could test "bt_coex_active=Y" if set to "N". This HW card seems to have trouble with some N-mode networks so try disabling it with "11n_disable=1". Maybe you want to set mode "debug=0xffffffff" during testing but be aware it may cause a load of logging only developers may like.

This will show you your current iwlwifi module settings:
Code:
find /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters -type f -printf "%p %f\n"| while read ITEM SHORT; do echo "${SHORT}: $(cat $ITEM)"; done
so you can check against the parms I mentioned and this will show you if you already have module parms configured (example for a Fedora machine):
Code:
grep iwlwifi -Hr /etc/modules.conf /etc/modprobe.d/ /etc/modules-load.d/
If you already have iwlwifi module settings configured you just edit the line (like 'sudo vi /etc/modprobe.conf'), elif you want to do test once you can use:
Code:
sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
elif you want to have settings survive a reboot while testing save and activate them with say:
Code:
sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo echo "options iwlwifi debug= bt_coex_active=Y 11n_disable=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf; sudo modprobe iwlwifi
//fi. Note the module options above are just examples: you decide which ones to set and which ones not.

If it doesn't work additional nfo may cme in handy (fix the sudo invocation or su -l) at least this:
Code:
for MODULE in cfg80211 mac80211 iwlwifi; do find /sys/module/$MODULE/parameters -type f -printf "%p %f\n"\
| while read ITEM SHORT; do echo "${MODULE}:${SHORT}: $(cat $ITEM)"; done; done | tee /tmp/debug.txt
iw wlan0 station dump | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
iwlist wlan0 scanning|egrep -ie "(cell|channel|freq|qual|essid)" | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
dmesg|egrep -ie "(wlan|cfg80211|wifi|iwl)" | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
ifconfig wlan0 | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
 
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
barnac1e
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: Moorhead, Minnesota, USA (birthplace of Slackware, ironically)
Distribution: openSuSE 13.1 - KDE
Posts: 234
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 9
Could be a firewall issue, especially if its a public wifi. Remember, Microsoft doesn't care if you get viruses or hacked.
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Thanks for posting. iwconfig shows not much excessive retries (42), link quality kind of low (31/70) and bit rate way low at 1 Mb/s and Tx-Power at 15 dBm. Power management is off (power_save=N) so we don't have to deal with that. If this is a combo Bluetooth / Wifi card you could test "bt_coex_active=Y" if set to "N". This HW card seems to have trouble with some N-mode networks so try disabling it with "11n_disable=1". Maybe you want to set mode "debug=0xffffffff" during testing but be aware it may cause a load of logging only developers may like.

This will show you your current iwlwifi module settings:
Code:
find /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters -type f -printf "%p %f\n"| while read ITEM SHORT; do echo "${SHORT}: $(cat $ITEM)"; done
so you can check against the parms I mentioned and this will show you if you already have module parms configured (example for a Fedora machine):
Code:
grep iwlwifi -Hr /etc/modules.conf /etc/modprobe.d/ /etc/modules-load.d/
If you already have iwlwifi module settings configured you just edit the line (like 'sudo vi /etc/modprobe.conf'), elif you want to do test once you can use:
Code:
sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
elif you want to have settings survive a reboot while testing save and activate them with say:
Code:
sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo echo "options iwlwifi debug= bt_coex_active=Y 11n_disable=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf; sudo modprobe iwlwifi
//fi. Note the module options above are just examples: you decide which ones to set and which ones not.

If it doesn't work additional nfo may cme in handy (fix the sudo invocation or su -l) at least this:
Code:
for MODULE in cfg80211 mac80211 iwlwifi; do find /sys/module/$MODULE/parameters -type f -printf "%p %f\n"\
| while read ITEM SHORT; do echo "${MODULE}:${SHORT}: $(cat $ITEM)"; done; done | tee /tmp/debug.txt
iw wlan0 station dump | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
iwlist wlan0 scanning|egrep -ie "(cell|channel|freq|qual|essid)" | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
dmesg|egrep -ie "(wlan|cfg80211|wifi|iwl)" | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
ifconfig wlan0 | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
Very HQ Answer. Thank you! i'll try it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnac1e View Post
Could be a firewall issue, especially if its a public wifi. Remember, Microsoft doesn't care if you get viruses or hacked.
yes, i've installed firewall yesterday but it worked fine ... still i'll try to uninstall it thank you!
 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
OK first of all i didn't found any firewall installed. and then unSpawen ...
Code:
 sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo echo "options iwlwifi debug= bt_coex_active=Y 11n_disable=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf; sudo modprobe iwlwifi
the access was danied ...

so and here's this information you asked.
Code:
for MODULE in cfg80211 mac80211 iwlwifi; do find /sys/module/$MODULE/parameters -type f -printf "%p %f\n"\
| while read ITEM SHORT; do echo "${MODULE}:${SHORT}: $(cat $ITEM)"; done; done | tee /tmp/debug.txt
iw wlan0 station dump | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
iwlist wlan0 scanning|egrep -ie "(cell|channel|freq|qual|essid)" | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
dmesg|egrep -ie "(wlan|cfg80211|wifi|iwl)" | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
ifconfig wlan0 | tee -a /tmp/debug.txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt debug.txt (29.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by F793Syncmaster; 10-09-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Debug info
 
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530
Couple of things. If you don't address a particular part of a reply then please don't quote it as a whole. Then as you read previous replies I'd like to know what as well as the reason why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F793Syncmaster View Post
the access was danied ...
So if something returns an error please post the exact error message too. It makes it easier to see if you or I made an error, therefore quicker to correct, more efficient. One thing I should have mentioned is that if you don't want to set an option then you just don't list it. So not "debug=" as you posted but just leave it out. I also see you set "bt_coex_active". So that means yours is a combined Bluetooth and Wifi card, yes? Because there's no clue why the commands failed I suggest you access the root account and then execute these commands (again ensure the options you set are the options you need, OK?):
Code:
rmmod iwlwifi
echo "options iwlwifi debug=0xffffffff bt_coex_active=Y 11n_disable=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
modprobe iwlwifi
 
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnac1e View Post
Could be a firewall issue, especially if its a public wifi.
If that would be the case, do you have any idea what kind of rules you would have to load to create a low throughput, at times intermittent wireless network connection? And if you do, could you show us how to troubleshoot that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by barnac1e View Post
Remember, Microsoft doesn't care if you get viruses or hacked.
And while you certainly are free to voice your expert opinion of any vendors products I wonder in what way such a statement helps the OP fix his problems?
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
So if something returns an error please post the exact error message too. It makes it easier to see if you or I made an error, therefore quicker to correct, more efficient.
I took a screen shot but Windows8 can't read that format... so now i'm gonna copy the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
One thing I should have mentioned is that if you don't want to set an option then you just don't list it. So not "debug=" as you posted but just leave it out. I also see you set "bt_coex_active". So that means yours is a combined Bluetooth and Wifi card, yes? Because there's no clue why the commands failed I suggest you access the root account and then execute these commands (again ensure the options you set are the options you need, OK?):
I don't really need any options... i just need internet to work fine. so i'll try it again if what i'll post the error. p.s i I've done that with root account.
 
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
F793Syncmaster
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
SO here it is ....

Code:
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$ find /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters -type f -printf "%p %f\n"| while read ITEM SHORT; do echo "${SHORT}: $(cat $ITEM)"; done
find: `/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters': No such file or directory
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$ grep iwlwifi -Hr /etc/modules.conf /etc/modprobe.d/ /etc/modules-load.d/
grep: /etc/modules.conf: No such file or directory
grep: /etc/modules-load.d/: No such file or directory
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$ sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
[sudo] password for -----------------------: 
ERROR: Module iwlwifi does not exist in /proc/modules
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$ sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo echo "options iwlwifi debug= bt_coex_active=Y 11n_disable=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf; sudo modprobe iwlwifi
bash: /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf: Permission denied
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$ rmmod iwlwifi
ERROR: Removing 'iwlwifi': Operation not permitted
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$ echo "options iwlwifi debug=0xffffffff bt_coex_active=Y 11n_disable=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
bash: /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf: Permission denied
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$ modprobe iwlwifi
-----------------------@ubuntu:~$

Last edited by F793Syncmaster; 10-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.
 
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by F793Syncmaster View Post
Code:
@ubuntu:~$
This prompt shows you weren't root at the time. Do a 'sudo su -l' and then execute the commands.
* If the iwlwifi module doesn't want to be removed (understandable as it's in use) just run the "echo" command and reboot.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sound quality low adeepakk Linux - Newbie 1 06-15-2008 06:51 PM
amarok - low sound quality O(V)eGA_l2el) Fedora 3 05-15-2007 10:47 AM
low sound quality aral SUSE / openSUSE 10 08-21-2005 02:35 PM
Low quality sound with ALSA on a Laptop don_eros Linux - Newbie 0 05-23-2004 02:18 PM
mencoder quality low gonniff Linux - Software 10 09-16-2003 06:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration