Just got a Red Hat 9.2 install done & working..(that's good)..so now what? Well, my goal is to setup wine so i can run some apps like Notes & Visio, etc.. so I can try to quit my windoze dependencies...yeah! Anyway, onto the many Qs (sorry for any dups - I tried searching through many boards but must be getting tired or suffering from info-overload):
1) I d/l'd RH9 ISOs & dont have an active subscription to RHNetwork for auto-updates. Can I still go & manually obtain new RPMs somewhere? (not just fixes/updates but other programs). Any good URLs?
2) I'm using DHCP (working) but I couldn't get my IP. I tried ifconfig & netconfig cmds both as regular user & root but they both failed. I'm guessing they may not be in my path...
3) How can I change my hostname from the default localhost.localdomain...Just change it in this file? --> /etc/sysconfig/network
4) I have W2K on same HDD w/ NTFS partition that I'd like to access. How can I mount this to access the data on there?
4a) I read getting some apps to work with wine (like Notes or Visio) is easier if you refer to their installation locations on the Windows partition (I guess for DLL calls, etc). Any good URLs for how-to set these apps up?
4b) Where do I get wine rpm? Setup how-to guide?
5) How can I access other W2K / XP network resources (shares) - Samba? Where can I go to get Samba, install steps, how-to guide, etc. ?
5a) Would I be able to map to a linux drive/share from a Win PC using Samba? Other methods?
Thanks for any help. Although I've just started, I'm eager to change my linux/windows use to 90/10 instead of the other way around.