LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
elocs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Using f-stop imported pictures to the photo folder. Where is the photo folder?


I can't find it anywhere. "Pictures" would have seemed to be the logical place, but I cannot find the photo folder. I realize this is ridiculously simple, but it is frustrating to me.

TIA
 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,787

Rep: Reputation: 211Reputation: 211Reputation: 211
We don't know enough.

What linux, what exactly did you do? Read this and post again.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...Ask_a_Question
 
Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
ps_sabu
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Kerala, South India
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10, Ultimate Edition 3.5, OZ Unity 3.0 Black Opal
Posts: 117

Rep: Reputation: 15
You can change the directory in which f-spot imports file to through

Edit-> Prefernces
In fedora f-spot imports files to Pictures folder by creating seperate folders and subfolders for date month and year of creation of the photo/image.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
elocs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
We don't know enough.

What linux, what exactly did you do? Read this and post again.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...Ask_a_Question
I have Ubuntu 8.10.

What exactly did I do? I imported pictures using f-stop to the photo folder and I cannot find the photo folder.

That's it.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,787

Rep: Reputation: 211Reputation: 211Reputation: 211
That is, although you called it f-stop...

You are using the program F-Spot covered by this documentation?

http://f-spot.org/User_Guide/Organize#Import

You will notice that the default storage is "~/Photos" On my installation of openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 3.5 this could be found using the KDE file searching function and truncating (*/Photos). Surely Gnome is searchable. You have tried?

When I store files, KDE shows me the file tree (/home/MYSYSTEM/THISFOLDER) that indicates its location. Sometimes I remember; otherwise I search. Here is a nice picture.

http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_8.html

Here is how you really do it.

http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/Unix/FindCmd.htm

Good Luck

Last edited by thorkelljarl; 03-19-2009 at 11:32 AM.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
elocs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
That is, although you called it f-stop...

You are using the program F-Spot covered by this documentation?

http://f-spot.org/User_Guide/Organize#Import

You will notice that the default storage is "~/Photos" On my installation of openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 3.5 this could be found using the KDE file searching function and truncating (*/Photos). Surely Gnome is searchable. You have tried?

When I store files, KDE shows me the file tree (/home/MYSYSTEM/THISFOLDER) that indicates its location. Sometimes I remember; otherwise I search. Here is a nice picture.

http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_8.html

Here is how you really do it.

http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/Unix/FindCmd.htm

Good Luck

Clearly Linux is not for everybody and it is clearly not altogether for me. There are aspects of it that are simply way too much bother for me. I have used both Windows and Macs for years and never had trouble finding imported photos. After 4 years on a Mac I got a Windows pc and decided to try Ubuntu on my new computer with Vista because I had heard so much negative about Vista. Well, I went to Vista and imported my photos and they were right there, easily found. I will use Ubuntu for surfing the web, but Vista for other things. I like things simple and not have to mess about. I personally do not find Ubuntu simple.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,787

Rep: Reputation: 211Reputation: 211Reputation: 211
Disappointments-or-Suborned and Spurned

It seems to me that you wanted to find your files, here your pictures, under the name you expected them having. F-Spot puts them in a particular folder with a name. The documentation for F-Spot tells you where and what it is called. It also tells you how to change that where and what for your convenience.

You may have been told that linux was very good, and it is, or that it was simple, and it can be, but it is different from both Windows and Macintosh in its terminology, structure and logic. It does require a process of acclimation and learning.

You might read this well written article about disappointment with linux

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Since you did not thank me, or show perseverance and patience, or indeed spell the name of the application correctly, I think you are in debit. You owe a reading of the manual, that is before you complain that the fancy new OS doesn't spring into life at the press of a button.

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

I can double-clutch when I downshift my motorcycle. I learned how. It's fun.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
elocs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
Disappointments-or-Suborned and Spurned

It seems to me that you wanted to find your files, here your pictures, under the name you expected them having. F-Spot puts them in a particular folder with a name. The documentation for F-Spot tells you where and what it is called. It also tells you how to change that where and what for your convenience.

You may have been told that linux was very good, and it is, or that it was simple, and it can be, but it is different from both Windows and Macintosh in its terminology, structure and logic. It does require a process of acclimation and learning.

You might read this well written article about disappointment with linux

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Since you did not thank me, or show perseverance and patience, or indeed spell the name of the application correctly, I think you are in debit. You owe a reading of the manual, that is before you complain that the fancy new OS doesn't spring into life at the press of a button.

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

I can double-clutch when I downshift my motorcycle. I learned how. It's fun.
If you had actually helped me, I would have thanked you, but you didn't. I would have recommended Ubuntu to friends, but not now. I'm done here. I have a greater appreciation now for both Windows and Macs which worked fine for me without reading the "manual".
 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,787

Rep: Reputation: 211Reputation: 211Reputation: 211
Oh, I see.

Interest and effort are of no account, only the utilitarian end. Bye

Last edited by thorkelljarl; 03-19-2009 at 03:50 PM.
 
Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
nomnex
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 1
@thorkelljarl

Hi I am new to Linux, Ubuntu 9.04 here. Your information & links were helpful. I registered on the board after reading this thread. Thank you.

BTW Linux - Ubuntu, since I don't know other distros - is simply fantastic.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I remove F-Spot photos and Pictures folder from the screensaver list? Thane Ubuntu 4 02-16-2009 10:25 PM
LXer: Copy images in Linux from the iPhone’s pictures folder LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-10-2008 05:50 AM
how is it possible to stop access to few folder with FTP? dussel Linux - Security 1 07-06-2006 05:53 AM
How can you get a list (names) of pictures from a web folder? Laser Devil Programming 5 06-11-2005 01:51 AM
any photo viewer with lossless photo rotation? zecodela Linux - Software 1 10-24-2004 11:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration