Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
However, maybe I didn't speak out my purpose clearly.
What my intent is to download all related file of "index.wml" from "http://184.108.40.206/index.wml", and after downloading you can open a test page via OPERA(by choosing index.wml)locally. And then you can choose other links in the wml page&go to the right pages.
Yes, you can even download "index.wml" from "http://220.127.116.11/index.wml", but you can't download the other relate files automaticly. If you use OPERA to open "index.wml", yes, you can open this page. Then if you choose other links from this page, you will not get the right result as above.
Clarity time. Are you trying to download the whole site to your PC? Because "I also need other related file(folders)" tells us nothing about what you are trying to do. Do you need all files ending in .xml or beginning with index. ?
If you are trying to download the whole site, look at the man page for wget and read the entry on mirroring.
A few tips:
1) -c is only for continuing a previously interrupted download. So you don't need it at this point.
2) -i is for specifying a local file (ie HTML file) in which you have specified URLs (addresses) to download from. As you want to download from just one place, you don't need this either.
3) "wget -r -c 18.104.22.168" doesn't cut it. You need to add the "/index.wml" part to it, otherwise wget will look for a file called index.html (or similar) by default.
4) WML is a form of XML, not HTML (expected by wget). So you might want to use --folow-tags to specify a list of tags to follow. Luckily though, the anchor tag (<a href=...>) is the same in WML as it is in XML, so you might get away with that anyway.
5) -p option to download all related inline images, video, ... (instead of just the related html/wml/xml pages)
6) -m (mirroring) might help too.
7) -k (converting links so that they can be viewed locally) seems ideally suited for your goal.
8) Please read the man page THOROUGHLY. And please listen to other people's advice carefully, rather than insisting on doing the same commands over and over again.
Thank you, timmeke and other guys. You guys are really warm heart and not so strict to let us ask questions.
Forgive me for not understanding the man page well. I'm really a newbie and not a native English speaker. And this problem really driven me crazy in this several days.
After learn the man page&you guy's answer more carefully,
I tried as following:
# wget -p -m -k --follow-tags='*.wml' http://22.214.171.124/index.wml
Connecting to 126.96.36.199:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1,294 [text/vnd.wap.wml]
100%[=================================================================================>] 1,294 1.23M/s ETA 00:00