LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
mike11
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 222

Rep: Reputation: 17
USB mouse works on and off (disconnects and re-connects)


I'm using Debian stable, installed on a Toshiba laptop.
Plugged in a basic Microsoft USB mouse. Mouse works for a couple for seconds, then the LED goes out, then comes back again after a short while (typically 1-10seconds), in what appears a purely random fashion.

The mouse works fine on a Windows machine, and laptop usb ports are fine too since I've connected a USB HDD to them.

I've set in xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "BaudRate" "300"
EndSection

Any ideas? (IRQ conflict? buggy usb support?).

Update:
It seems the mouse gets disconnected and then reconnected every few seconds.
This is /var/log/messages:
Code:
May 11 22:18:13 mypc kernel: [  451.032322] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 17
May 11 22:18:14 mypc kernel: [  452.512100] usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 18
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695082] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=0040
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695092] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695099] usb 2-1: Product: Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695106] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Microsoft
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.697056] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.716055] input: Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/input/input22
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.717370] generic-usb 0003:045E:0040.000C: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
I've tried adding "acpi=force irqpoll" to the grub options, but no change.

TIA

Last edited by mike11; 05-11-2012 at 12:20 PM.
 
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,099

Rep: Reputation: 343Reputation: 343Reputation: 343Reputation: 343
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike11 View Post
Plugged in a basic Microsoft USB mouse. Mouse works for a couple for seconds, then the LED goes out, then comes back again after a short while (typically 1-10seconds), in what appears a purely random fashion.
it's a long shot, but for what it's worth... is it possible that this particular mouse exceeds the 100mA current limit, and your USB controller and the device driver enforce these limits strictly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike11 View Post
The mouse works fine on a Windows machine, and laptop usb ports are fine too since I've connected a USB HDD to them.
The Windows USB driver doesn't care if a device draws more current than it's allowed to. A USB device can be granted more than 100mA (up to a maximum of 500mA), but according to the USB standard it has to register that higher limit with the controller when it is being connected.
USB-powered 2" hard disks usually negotiate that properly, and the 3" hard disks don't have the problem because they have their own power supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike11 View Post
It seems the mouse gets disconnected and then reconnected every few seconds.
This is /var/log/messages:
Code:
May 11 22:18:13 mypc kernel: [  451.032322] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 17
May 11 22:18:14 mypc kernel: [  452.512100] usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 18
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695082] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=0040
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695092] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695099] usb 2-1: Product: Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.695106] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Microsoft
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.697056] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.716055] input: Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/input/input22
May 11 22:18:15 mypc kernel: [  452.717370] generic-usb 0003:045E:0040.000C: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
That's only the log extract of the moment the mouse is being recognized. The part about disconnecting it would be more interesting.

[X] Doc CPU
 
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
mike11
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 17
Thanks.

After long hours yesterday searching online, there seems to be main causes for such usb mouse issue:
irq conflict and hardware issues, possibly due to the 100mA current thing.

Following comments online, I've tried adding noapic nolapic and acpi=force irqpoll in grub, but it didn't solve the issue.

Regarding the messages, it shows "USB disconnect, address <something>", for example:
Code:
May 12 13:33:25 mypc kernel: [  571.013697] generic-usb 0003:045E:0040.0004: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
May 12 13:33:59 mypc kernel: [  605.040483] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 7
May 12 13:34:00 mypc kernel: [  605.344064] usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
May 12 13:34:00 mypc kernel: [  605.526414] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=0040
May 12 13:34:00 mypc kernel: [  605.526424] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0
May 12 13:34:00 mypc kernel: [  605.526432] usb 2-1: Product: Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)
Is there a linux driver which doesn't choke when the mouse draws more than 100mA? or some magic settings to xorg/hal/whatever?.

TIA
 
Old 05-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
mike11
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 222

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 17
I'm bumping this thread since I still haven't found a reply.

Anyone solved a similar problem? any ideas?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
usb mouse now longer works? georgie345 Linux - Newbie 2 07-04-2008 11:37 AM
USB Mouse only works when plugged into USB PCI Card helliax Slackware 6 12-05-2005 02:18 AM
USB thumb drive works great, but I still can't get my USB mouse to work. blk96gt Slackware 8 06-22-2004 02:52 AM
USB mouse, works in kernel 2.4.18, not in 2.4.21 or 2.4.22 Smerk Linux - Hardware 3 11-18-2003 05:11 PM
USB mouse that works with Mandrake 9.1? ncabell Linux - Hardware 5 11-07-2003 03:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration