LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
redoaks
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Poughkeepsie,New York
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: 0
Upgrading hardware to AMD 64


I need to upgrade from a 32 bit P4 to an AMD Athlon 64 have been running Fedora 4 i386
for a month now, so am not really familiar with it.
Can I download a copy of the x64 kernel and plug it in, running on the P4 with the i386
OS and run it that way until the upgrade, then go on as usual, or am I looking at a full
re-install?

Will the 32 bit Fedora run on the 64 hardware?

Will my software, Turboprint i386, Snap Graphics, Mozilla, Crossover Office run on either
kernel?

If it's a re-install on a sparate partition, can I access the i386 Fedora to run programs,
or migrate them to the x64 version like I do in OS/2?

I have no Windows installed, but have heard XP will run on 32 or 64, as will OS/2, but have
read on this site Mandrake will not. Would this be a weakness of Mandrake or Linux, or is
it to run better on specific hardware?

Thanks in advance
Louis Muollo
 
Old 02-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
macemoneta
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Distribution: Fedora x86 and x86_64, Debian PPC and ARM, Android
Posts: 4,593
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by redoaks
I need to upgrade from a 32 bit P4 to an AMD Athlon 64 have been running Fedora 4 i386
for a month now, so am not really familiar with it.
Can I download a copy of the x64 kernel and plug it in, running on the P4 with the i386
OS and run it that way until the upgrade, then go on as usual, or am I looking at a full
re-install?
Yes you can update individual components, though dependencies may require that you upgrade additional components, and that could lead to a rather lengthy chain of dependencies. It's usually easier to re-install.

Quote:
Will the 32 bit Fedora run on the 64 hardware?
Yes
Quote:
Will my software, Turboprint i386, Snap Graphics, Mozilla, Crossover Office run on either
kernel?
In general, 32-bit software runs just fine on an AMD64 running a 64-bit OS. You may need to install some 32-bit requisites for your software (libraries, usually).

Quote:
If it's a re-install on a sparate partition, can I access the i386 Fedora to run programs,
or migrate them to the x64 version like I do in OS/2?
In general yes, with the requirement that you install dependencies as mentioned above.

Quote:
I have no Windows installed, but have heard XP will run on 32 or 64, as will OS/2, but have
read on this site Mandrake will not. Would this be a weakness of Mandrake or Linux, or is
it to run better on specific hardware?
Linux runs on just about anything. If a particular distribution isn't packaged to run on the platform you want to use, pick another distribution. In part, that's why there are over 100 distributions. FC4 is packaged to run on X86, X86_64 and PPC.

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Louis Muollo
 
Old 02-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
redoaks
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Poughkeepsie,New York
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Upgrading hardware to AMD 64

Thank you for the info. It is truly appreciated.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading to amd-64 optimised kernel Mark_667 Debian 3 08-27-2005 05:14 PM
Upgrading Hardware Strategies confused_bof SUSE / openSUSE 3 06-24-2005 02:27 PM
AMD FX 51 or 53 / hardware specs... RedUcer Linux - Hardware 0 04-01-2004 07:09 AM
i'm thinking of upgrading to amd 3000+ matt_w_lambert Linux - Hardware 1 04-10-2003 05:48 AM
Upgrading hardware with Linux? cexshun Linux - Hardware 3 02-03-2003 02:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration