Thank you DavidPhillips
However I think I found a solution! I set up a shell command to use ez-ipupdate that grabs my ip from www.whatismyip.com
then runs ez-ipupdate and updates my server's ip address with that ip.
(note ez-ipupdate is not getting my ip address it can only look at eth0, eth1, and other network devices for their ip addresses. I am doing a wget -q www.whatismyip.com
to figure out my ip before I call ez-ipupdate
Then I set up crontab to run my shell command every 15 minutes. I ought to figure out how to make my shell command do if else commands so I can check if my ipaddress has changed, and if it hasn't then don't bother calling ez-ipupdate. But that will be a research project for another day.
Once again, thank you DavidPhillips, I am learning more and more about linux every time I sit down and try to solve a problem
I kindof gave up on this problem after working on it for hours so I posted here for help. Then It kept bugging me after resting for a while so I went back to it and looked in places I didn't think of before on the net to find this solution.
If anyone needs help with this half batched job I would gladly help them but I personally don't think it is the greatest method of fixing this problem. I have the source for ez-ipupdate and will probably play around with that to fix this problem somehow when I am not so dang busy with school and work.