LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Unix & linux (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/unix-and-linux-832383/)

maziar_af 09-15-2010 02:17 PM

Unix & linux
 
Hi everybody:newbie:,

I am new here, and want to know what de diffrents are between Unix and Linux:hattip:

repo 09-15-2010 02:20 PM

Welcome to LQ
A good start would be
http://www.google.be/search?hl=en&cl...+Linux&spell=1

Kind regards

divyashree 09-15-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maziar_af (Post 4098573)
Hi everybody:newbie:,

I am new here, and want to know what de diffrents are between Unix and Linux:hattip:

Hey maziar,welcome to family..

GNU/Linux evolved as opensource OS due to the proprietary nature of Unix.


A lot of history behind it,U can google them.

TB0ne 09-15-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divyashree (Post 4098621)
Hey maziar,welcome to family..
GNU/Linux evolved as opensource OS due to the proprietary nature of Unix.
A lot of history behind it,U can google them.

Please spell your words out, especially for new members to see.

Sorry, no.....UNIX is not proprietary, since there are MANY flavors of it (HP/UX, Solaris, AIX, etc.). It's all up to who pays to use the copyrighted name.

Also, UNIX is an operating standard, while Linux is the name of the operating system written, by Linus Torvalds. It aims for POSIX compatability, but UNIX is a copyrighted name...so Linux can't call itself "UNIX" without paying to...which it won't.

The links provided via Google, by repo, spell all this out.

dv502 09-15-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maziar_af (Post 4098573)
Hi everybody:newbie:,

I am new here, and want to know what de diffrents are between Unix and Linux:hattip:

There are some Unix compatible operating systems like the BSDs.
An interesting article from distrowatch weekly

A comparison of BSD and Linux
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100802#qa

frankbell 09-15-2010 10:20 PM

Unix is a proprietary operating system developed by AT&T's Bell Labs before AT&T was broken up for anti-trust reasons, but the Unix specifications were published.

Linus Torvalds wrote the Linux kernel to meet the published Unix specifications.

Therefore, for all practical purposes, Linux looks like Unix, but Linux is not Unix.

Linux is original code distinct from Unix; the behavior on the surface is the same, but the code underneath is different.

Some history.

MrCode 09-15-2010 10:25 PM

Linux is UNIX-like, but is not UNIX. As frankbell said above, UNIX was developed as a proprietary system by AT&T, whereas Linux was developed independently by Linus Torvalds as an open-source project.

The original UNIX™ actually doesn't exist anymore, but there are many UNIX-likes, some of them more true to the original UNIX™ than others: Linux is one of them, as are the BSDs, HP-UX, AIX, and even Mac OS X (although it's hidden under a fancy GUI and apps ;)).

TobiSGD 09-15-2010 11:15 PM

The main difference is: While UNIX is a description for an operating system, is Linux only a kernel. If you add tools, most common the GNU tools you get a Operating system. Linus Torvalds wrote not an operating system, but a kernel for an operating system. Because of the mixery with the GNU tools it sometimes is mentioned as "GNU/Linux".

divyashree 09-16-2010 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 4098672)
Please spell your words out, especially for new members to see.

Sorry, no.....UNIX is not proprietary, since there are MANY flavors of it (HP/UX, Solaris, AIX, etc.). It's all up to who pays to use the copyrighted name.

Also, UNIX is an operating standard, while Linux is the name of the operating system written, by Linus Torvalds. It aims for POSIX compatability, but UNIX is a copyrighted name...so Linux can't call itself "UNIX" without paying to...which it won't.

The links provided via Google, by repo, spell all this out.

Hello sir,have you studied the opensource history,why GNU project was started by RMS???

I told in my last post GNU/Linux, bcoz all newbies spell GNU/Linux as Linux which is the kernel part only. The complete OS is GNU/Linux. So how can you diff a kernel and a Unix OS ?

TheIndependentAquarius 09-16-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divyashree (Post 4099226)
Hello sir,have you studied the opensource history,why GNU project was started by RMS???

From the following link:
http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix.html
Read this:
Quote:

The Open Group has separated the UNIX trademark from any actual code stream itself, thus allowing multiple implementations. Since the introduction of the Single UNIX Specification, there has been a single, open, consensus specification that defines the requirements for a conformant UNIX system.
and for knowing Single UNIX Specification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification

The following quote :
Quote:

The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, owns the “Unix” trademark. Only systems fully compliant with and certified according to the Single UNIX Specification are qualified to use the trademark; others may be called "Unix system-like" or "Unix-like" (though the Open Group disapproves of this term).
is from Wikipedia:

prayag_pjs 09-16-2010 05:16 AM

Read History of Unix and Linux
 
I think you dont want to surf internet ... so for you i would say

Linux is developed by Open Source development i.e. through sharing and collaboration of code and features through forums etc and it is distributed by various vendors such as Debian, Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu, GentuX etc.

Unix systems are divided into various other flavors, mostly developed by AT&T as well as various commercial vendors and non-profit organizations.

Linux was developed from minix.

MINIX (from "mini-Unix") was first released in 1987, with its complete source code made available to universities for study in courses and research. It has been free and open source software since it was re-licensed under the BSD license in April 2000.

TobiSGD 09-16-2010 06:18 AM

Quote:

Linux is developed by Open Source development i.e. through sharing and collaboration of code and features through forums etc and it is distributed by various vendors such as Debian, Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu, GentuX etc.
Have a look at FreeBSD or OpenBSD, same there.

Quote:

Linux was developed from minix.

MINIX (from "mini-Unix") was first released in 1987, with its complete source code made available to universities for study in courses and research. It has been free and open source software since it was re-licensed under the BSD license in April 2000.
The Minix-kernel is a microkernel, the Linux-kernel is a monolithic kernel, they have absolutely nothing in common.

divyashree 09-16-2010 06:30 AM

http://www.gnu.org/ ,This is where you can get all information..........

TheIndependentAquarius 09-16-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prayag_pjs (Post 4099251)
Linux was developed from minix.

Linux was compiled on Minix not "developed from Minix"!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX#MINIX_and_Linux

prayag_pjs 09-16-2010 07:03 AM

if i am not wrong Linux is kernel ...Gnu/Linux is OS

In 1991, in Helsinki, Linus Torvalds began a project that later became the Linux kernel. It was initially a terminal emulator, which Torvalds used to access the large UNIX servers of the university. He wrote the program specifically for the hardware he was using and independent of an operating system because he wanted to use the functions of his new PC with an 80386 processor. Development was done on MINIX using the GNU C compiler, which is still the main choice for compiling Linux today (although the code can be built with other compilers, such as the Intel C Compiler).[citation needed]

As Torvalds wrote in his book Just for Fun[7], he eventually realized that he had written an operating system kernel. On 25 August 1991, he announced this system in a Usenet posting to the newsgroup "comp.os.minix."


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.