Thanks for the reply DotHQ...I don't know, but it could very well be a networking issue(although I did check all the usual network stuff- maybe something I missed). I have wireshark but not experienced at reading the reports, so not sure how to diagnose weird stuff. Anyhow, about the time I posted my overly happy "it fixed itself" follow-up, things went back to sludge slow...I went aroung making apologies to everyone,frantically re-booted the back up in preparation to swap...etc. I check this morning (prior to actually putting the back up online) and guess what....all systems go, no problems....I give up!!!!Maybe it was the Linux gods reminding me not to be too smug about my MS-less systems.