LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Mountaineer
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: Keene, NY
Distribution: 11.10
Posts: 33
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2
Unable to obtain wireless connection on Ubuntu 11,04


I downloaded Ubuntu 11.04 directly to my Widows XP computer (no CD or USB). I am connected wirelessly to a Linksys E1500 router in another room. The connection is described as strong. I am unable to get online in Ubuntu. I entered Network Connections/Wireless and entered the name of my connection (SSID?), the MAC number. security WPA, WPA2, personal.and router password. Mode: infrastructure and MTV automatic. It occurred to me that my card might be unacceptable, so I researched the Ubuntu instructions and hardware manufacturers web sites and my card appears to be okay. It is a Broadcom BCM4318 802.11g, rev. 2. lspci -v shows 14e4:4318, which should indicate a b3 driver. (I'm very foggy here.) The card checks out OK, since I get online okay in XP. I grant that I'm dumb at this, but I'm dogged and won;t be able to sleep until I succeed or at least understand why not. I have reviewed forum exchanges and there are a lot of similar problems cited, but most of the answers have been beyond me. Thanks for listening.
 
Old 10-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
camorri
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Somewhere inside 9.9 million sq. km. Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1, 14.2
Posts: 5,124

Rep: Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496
Please see this link;

-->https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ng_b43_drivers

Ubuntu has a detailed set of instructions on how to get this card going on Ubuntu, various releases. I believe you need the b43 driver, look at that section. In this section you will find this note:
Quote:
Note: On Ubuntu 11.04 installing the 'firmware-b43-installer' package takes care of the downloading and installation of the b43 driver.
After the driver is loaded, you will need to configure your connection.

Hope this helps.
 
Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Mountaineer
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: Keene, NY
Distribution: 11.10
Posts: 33
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by camorri View Post
Please see this link;

-->https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ng_b43_drivers

Ubuntu has a detailed set of instructions on how to get this card going on Ubuntu, various releases. I believe you need the b43 driver, look at that section. In this section you will find this note:

After the driver is loaded, you will need to configure your connection.

Hope this helps.
I hope I'm responding correctly. As to the instructions for downloading and installing the firmware, I think I have it. I have studied the instructions and explanations several times, so now I'll give it a whirl. I must move my Ubuntu computer closer to the router so I can use a cable to get online. Thanks.
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Mountaineer
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: Keene, NY
Distribution: 11.10
Posts: 33
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I hope I'm responding correctly. As to the instructions for downloading and installing the firmware, I think I have it. I have studied the instructions and explanations several times, so now I'll give it a whirl. I must move my Ubuntu computer closer to the router so I can use a cable to get online. Thanks.
Wow! Bingo! Only one question. How do I access System/Admin? It was obvious when I was playing with 10.10, but I haven't found it yet. Could you recommend a users' manual? Many thanks once more.
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
camorri
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Somewhere inside 9.9 million sq. km. Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1, 14.2
Posts: 5,124

Rep: Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496Reputation: 496
Quote:
How do I access System/Admin?
The system administrator is called the 'root' user on linux. When you installed, you should have created a password for the root user. In Ubuntu, there is a function called 'sudo' that gives you temporary root access and authority. If you need to run a command as the root user, add sudo to the beginning of the command line, type the command, the system will prompt you for the password. Type it, press enter, and the command will run, assuming you give it the correst password.

ie 'sudo ifconfig eth0 up' To control interfaces, you need root privileges, ifconfig is the command , eth0 is the interface, and up will activate it. ( Just an example ).

Hope this helps.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Mountaineer
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2011
Location: Keene, NY
Distribution: 11.10
Posts: 33
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by camorri View Post
The system administrator is called the 'root' user on linux. When you installed, you should have created a password for the root user. In Ubuntu, there is a function called 'sudo' that gives you temporary root access and authority. If you need to run a command as the root user, add sudo to the beginning of the command line, type the command, the system will prompt you for the password. Type it, press enter, and the command will run, assuming you give it the correst password.

ie 'sudo ifconfig eth0 up' To control interfaces, you need root privileges, ifconfig is the command , eth0 is the interface, and up will activate it. ( Just an example ).

Hope this helps.
Yes. Thx.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Debian Squeeze: RaLink RT3090 wireless card unable to obtain IP address Chais Linux - Wireless Networking 1 06-05-2011 12:25 PM
unable to use wireless connection kapildhal Linux - Newbie 4 02-23-2010 11:51 AM
Wireless Unable to Obtain IP Address spsmith78 Linux - Wireless Networking 3 12-25-2009 07:27 AM
obtain wireless internet connection on FC5 with Belkin54g WiFi router crmpicco Linux - Wireless Networking 3 05-21-2007 03:28 PM
ipw2200 - Unable to obtain IP address from Wireless Access point. tguha Linux - Wireless Networking 1 02-20-2007 12:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration