LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
cygnis1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
unable to log on as root


I want to save the file /usr/share/themes to an external hard drive so as to use them when I upgrade to Karmic. When I tried to copy the file to the external hard drive I couldn't because the file belongs to root and I don't have read, write, or execute permission. There is no root password. So how do I change the permissions so that I can copy and paste the file to the external hard drive? I am using Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope.
Thanks,
Cygnis1
 
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
ronlau9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: In front of my LINUX OR MAC BOX
Distribution: Mandriva 2009 X86_64 suse 11.3 X86_64 Centos X86_64 Debian X86_64 Linux MInt 86_64 OS X
Posts: 2,369

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnis1 View Post
I want to save the file /usr/share/themes to an external hard drive so as to use them when I upgrade to Karmic. When I tried to copy the file to the external hard drive I couldn't because the file belongs to root and I don't have read, write, or execute permission. There is no root password. So how do I change the permissions so that I can copy and paste the file to the external hard drive? I am using Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope.
Thanks,
Cygnis1
Wel I just try it on UBUNTU Jaunty I do have a root password.
In terminal
Su enter
password enter
and you become root
Than try it again

Last edited by ronlau9; 10-21-2009 at 10:15 AM.
 
Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
MensaWater
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Atlanta Georgia USA
Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO
Posts: 6,580
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: 969Reputation: 969Reputation: 969Reputation: 969Reputation: 969Reputation: 969Reputation: 969Reputation: 969
Try typing "sudo su -" then entering YOUR password (not root's password). It may be you have sudo access to become root.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to talk to whoever setup your system to see if they can't work out a way for you to mount and access as a non-root user.
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
cygnis1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I was able to sudo su to copy the file, but I still do not have the permission to move it to the external hard drive.
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
How is the external HD formatted? What is the output of the mount command?

Code:
wim@aao:~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/wim/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=wim)
wim@aao:~$
 
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
cola
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Location: Dhaka,Bangladesh
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,031

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnis1 View Post
I was able to sudo su to copy the file, but I still do not have the permission to move it to the external hard drive.
Changing permission:
Code:
sudo chmod 777 <filename>
Post:
Code:
mount
fdisk -l
 
Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
deepaksinghnegi
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 16
Thumbs up

first logon whatever your loging name and password then open terminal
write this command:


<sudo passwd root>then press enter
then write you current account password
then new password for root
 
Old 10-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
cygnis1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
How is the external HD formatted? What is the output of the mount command?

Code:
wim@aao:~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/wim/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=wim)
wim@aao:~$
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.28-16-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/john/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=john)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk-1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
/dev/sr1 on /media/WD SmartWare type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,uid=1000)
root@john-laptop:/media/disk-1#
 
Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
JohnGraham
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 467

Rep: Reputation: 139Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnis1 View Post
I was able to sudo su to copy the file, but I still do not have the permission to move it to the external hard drive.
Are you still root? Double check by running the `whoami' command.

If you are, then the problem might be with write of the folders on the external hd, even though it's mounted "rw" (I'm assuming, of course, that you want to move data to /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk-1?)

You can make sure you can copy to the root of /media/disk-1 by running:

Code:
chmod u+w /media/disk-1
This will (should) allow you to e.g. `mv ~/example.txt /media/disk-1'.

Make sure you "chmod u+w" for any sub-directory you want to add files to.
 
Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
cygnis1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
That did not work either
 
Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
deepaksinghnegi
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 16
you can create root password using following code

~$ sudo passwd root
~$ enter your current password[whatever your password]
~& enter new unix password[enter desire password for root]
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to log as root in Fedora 10 anika.ella Linux - Newbie 18 12-16-2008 03:53 AM
NFS Root setup - can't log in as root after CHMOD ? gallwapa Linux - General 1 04-02-2007 05:31 AM
Unable to Build ELDK3.1 for kernel 2.4.25. On Booting Unable to mount root fs.. kannath Debian 0 05-11-2006 10:26 AM
Unable to log in as root in suse 9.1 ajaykumarns SUSE / openSUSE 5 11-01-2005 11:08 PM
Unable to logon on as non-root user after update as unable to set executable context pls198 Fedora 2 04-09-2004 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration