I had trouble with that "too" driver in my RH 7.0-7.3 installations and when I finally bite the bullet and installed that last update at scyld it worked, so when I found myself with an error about the RedHat 8.0 problem, I simply went and checked for a new update, did install the whole package, and it did in fact work just like out of the box.
With regards to the eth1 or eth0 situation, I have found that I can force things into Linux's throat but defaults most often work better for reasons I do not yet understand.
When I attempted what I thought was going to be a careful approach to switching a nic in a RedHat system, I tried placing my "public" eth access on eth1, and using eth0 for my private network, and found that packet traffic was slowed signifcantly and so I proceeded with placing another nic in the eth0 position (it was a 100mb or 10mb nic card decision), and reversing the eth0 and eth1 settings at which time I got my throughput back. The deeper details I do not understand, but that was what workedfurme.
I hope that helped,
Barry aka gldneagl
Last edited by gldneagl; 12-15-2002 at 07:57 PM.