LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Ubuntu live usb flash drive (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/ubuntu-live-usb-flash-drive-876730/)

rocky1927 04-23-2011 08:23 PM

Ubuntu live usb flash drive
 
I just used a live dvdtomake a usb flashdrive of ubuntu 10.10. When I boot it I get this message;" vesamenu.c32: not a COM32R image".
I had the same thing happen to me with a Mint 10 usb and could enter "live" and it would boot. Does anyone know the magic word for this one? Thanks!

nicolasjengler 04-23-2011 08:49 PM

What program did you use to write the .iso into the flash drive? I suggest UNetBootin, it's easy to use and you can install it from the repositories
Code:

sudo apt-get install unetbootin

rocky1927 04-23-2011 09:52 PM

I used the "create usb" flash drive option on the live dvd. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more, but I'm new to this stuff and don't yet know a whole lot about it.

nicolasjengler 04-24-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky1927 (Post 4334068)
I used the "create usb" flash drive option on the live dvd. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more, but I'm new to this stuff and don't yet know a whole lot about it.

It's OK, if you have another Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distro (or Windows) installation you can write the .iso image to the flash drive from there using UNetBootin. Do what I said in the previous post and execute UNetBootin. The application is easy to use, select the location of the iso and select the drive where you want to write it, that's pretty much it.

k3lt01 04-24-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky1927 (Post 4334068)
I used the "create usb" flash drive option on the live dvd. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more, but I'm new to this stuff and don't yet know a whole lot about it.

I have never seen that application work properly yet.

Unetbootin, as already suggested by nicolasjengler is good and it works. Here is a page you may like to read on it. I also like and use with great success Multisystem, it will do one or many cd/dvd combinations onto a USB flash drive.
There are more ways to do it but I think the Unetbootin would be easiest for you to start with.

nicolasjengler 04-24-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3lt01 (Post 4334289)
I have never seen that application work properly yet.

Unetbootin, as already suggested by nicolasjengler is good and it works. Here is a page you may like to read on it. I also like and use with great success Multisystem, it will do one or many cd/dvd combinations onto a USB flash drive.
There are more ways to do it but I think the Unetbootin would be easiest for you to start with.

Thanks for suggesting Multisystem, I'm looking forward to have the chance to use it, I've never heard of it.

rocky1927 04-24-2011 09:26 AM

Thank you for your help!

nicolasjengler 04-24-2011 11:08 AM

You should post if it worked out for you and what application you used in order to mark the thread as solved ^_^

k3lt01 04-24-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolasjengler (Post 4334363)
Thanks for suggesting Multisystem, I'm looking forward to have the chance to use it, I've never heard of it.

It is excellent, I have 4 DebianLive i386 systems on my 16GB flash drive, after I finish downloading the amd64 equivalents I will have 8 on the drive plus a small selection of debs such as non-free firmware to get networking up and running straight away.

5-10 minutes to install a complete Debian system from a flash drive is far better than up to 30 minutes from a CD/DVD.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.