LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
monami
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
Ubuntu Linux Live cd Grub re-Installation problem


I am trying to install Ubuntu Linux,especially the grub using a Ubuntu Live cd.

There is a problem.I have a sata hdd.Now what wud be the hdd reference I shud give for this.

A) The steps I have followed r:-

1. Boot with any live CD (I've done it with Ubuntu Live DVD)
2. Get a root shell -> Applications / System Tools / Root Terminal
3. Make a folder -> mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
4. Check the Ubuntu partition -> fdisk -l (Mine is /dev/hda4)

This fdisk does not work.

5. Mount the root partition of Ubuntu -> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/ubuntu

My /boot is automatically put on sda2 which is my ubuntu boot partition.


6. Chroot the mounted partition -> chroot /mnt/ubuntu


7. Restore Grub / the initial MBR -> grub-install /dev/hda

( Now here,when I put sda instead of hda, I get an error:-Not found or not a block device!)

What shud I do? Shud I try hd0 instead of hda? or sd0?




B) ANOTHER QUESTION:-

4. Type "root (hd0,6)", or whatever your harddisk + boot partition numbers are (my /boot is at /dev/sda7, which translates to hd0,6 for grub).


This is an instruction I got from one of the forums. I guess sda7 translates to hd0,6 because the physical partitions start from 0 and the logical ones from 1.Is this right?


So since my ubuntu /boot is in sda2 is sata drive 1, partition 2, is that written as (hd0,1)?



Pls help. Thks in advance.
 
Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
MasterC
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, UT - USA
Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu
Posts: 12,612

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by monami
I am trying to install Ubuntu Linux,especially the grub using a Ubuntu Live cd.

There is a problem.I have a sata hdd.Now what wud be the hdd reference I shud give for this.

A) The steps I have followed r:-

1. Boot with any live CD (I've done it with Ubuntu Live DVD)
2. Get a root shell -> Applications / System Tools / Root Terminal
3. Make a folder -> mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
4. Check the Ubuntu partition -> fdisk -l (Mine is /dev/hda4)

This fdisk does not work.
That's because you've got a SATA disk, and possibly a completely different partition structure on your SATA disk. To see what partitions exist:
fdisk -l /dev/sda
Quote:

5. Mount the root partition of Ubuntu -> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/ubuntu

My /boot is automatically put on sda2 which is my ubuntu boot partition.
Because I'm not familiar with the document you are quoting, I don't know what the purpose of telling us that your /boot is automatically put on *any* partition has with your question, sorry.

Quote:

6. Chroot the mounted partition -> chroot /mnt/ubuntu


7. Restore Grub / the initial MBR -> grub-install /dev/hda

( Now here,when I put sda instead of hda, I get an error:-Not found or not a block device!)

What shud I do? Shud I try hd0 instead of hda? or sd0?
It may be a problem with the type of SATA controller you have on your motherboard/addon card. The above fdisk command will help further as it will tell you if your machine recognizes your SATA disk and any partitions that live on it. If it exists, you may end up needing to use grub the command line tool instead of the automated grub-install script.

Quote:
B) ANOTHER QUESTION:-

4. Type "root (hd0,6)", or whatever your harddisk + boot partition numbers are (my /boot is at /dev/sda7, which translates to hd0,6 for grub).


This is an instruction I got from one of the forums. I guess sda7 translates to hd0,6 because the physical partitions start from 0 and the logical ones from 1.Is this right?


So since my ubuntu /boot is in sda2 is sata drive 1, partition 2, is that written as (hd0,1)?



Pls help. Thks in advance.
That's pretty much correct. Except that physical/logical has nothing to do with, it's because in Linux (and a lot of things like that) the first one is 0. There is a bit of reasoning to it, but it's best to just accept it as is.

The problem I'm having is why you have to do any of this. The new (Dapper) Ubuntu install from the LiveCD is as simple as clicking the button on your desktop to install. Not much else was required other than Password info and things like that, Grub install was "taken care of" during the install process. Are you trying to install an older version?

Cool
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ubuntu Linux Installation Problem sam2709 Linux - Newbie 4 03-07-2006 08:01 PM
ubuntu installation and ubuntu live cd morphixrocks Ubuntu 2 01-21-2006 03:12 PM
ppc ubuntu live cd problem coolmacguy91 Ubuntu 4 09-29-2005 01:03 AM
Ubuntu Warty Live CD grub error 21 on boot PBSchmidt Linux - Distributions 2 01-24-2005 12:20 PM
Grub installation problem on Gentoo Linux Belerefontis Linux - Distributions 1 06-21-2004 02:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration