So found a solution to the problem. It seems that nvidia drivers arent compatible. Whether its coz of 64bit or what!?!
But here is what I did to get back into gnome and stop it complaining about the power management.
1) When it was complaining I opened another tty with CTRL-1
2) sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg
3) sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
4) sudo apt-get remove nvidia-180-kernel-source
5) sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg
6) sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
7) init 6
This put me straight into Xwindows.
Now I am going to stay clear of any Nvidia drivers unless someone can advise that all are ok to install.