[SOLVED] Ubuntu 9.1 is slow to recognize dial-up modem
Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
October 21st, 2010
I started using Ubuntu 9.04 about a year ago, with a dial-up modem (details below).
The only problem I ever had was that when the computer started up it would go online automatically. I would have preferred that it wait to be asked, as I do about half my work offline, and don't wish to block my line unnecessarily.
The only solution I found was to unplug the line to the phone—inelegant, I admit—but it was never more than a minor niggle.
When I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.1 the problem changed. The computer starts up faster than ever, but now there is usually a delay of a couple of minutes before the modem is willing to connect. If I try to activate the modem manually, it shows the message Cannot open modem. If I have been working offline for some time and I then ask it to go online that still works fine.
So, I have two questions: is there a way to eliminate this delay? And can I persuade the system not to try to dial out automatically?
NAME="Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model 5610 "
I cannot help with your question, but I feel compelled to comment on your posting in general.
The Ubuntu releases are identified by what looks like a version string, but is in reality a date.
You wrote Ubuntu 9.1 when it should correctly be Ubuntu 9.10 The string indicates that this edition was released in October, the tenth month, of 2009 or "9.10". The most release, 10.10, was sent into the wild during October, the tenth month, of 2010 or "10.10".
This is different from what happens with most other software. Consider using these release identifiers correctly to avoid confusion when asking questions.
I have upgraded to 10.04, and although the hesitation is still there, it is smaller than it was with 9.10. Now I have my laptop and desktop on the same system, I think I will call that good enough.
Thanks to anyone who thought about this.