LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Ubuntu 10.10 uninstall and reinstall Windows 7 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/ubuntu-10-10-uninstall-and-reinstall-windows-7-a-923391/)

Abhish 01-12-2012 01:30 AM

Ubuntu 10.10 uninstall and reinstall Windows 7
 
I have Ubuntu 10.10 on my harddrive entirely. I tried to boot from CDROM(windows 7 cd), but Ubuntu didn't detect the CD & went forward to log in screen of Ubuntu. I checked my CDROM, its working fine. How to I format my entire harddrive to install Windows 7.

fukawi1 01-12-2012 01:35 AM

You probably need to select the boot device with your BIOS.
It will depend on the BIOS which key will do this, but you should press it while the BIOS POST is displaying.
On some pressing F12 will do it. F10 for some others...
Some BIOS's will have a pretty picture displaying rather than the actual text of the POST, sometimes pressing TAB will show the POST display, which may show you what key you need to press to access the boot menu.

Abhish 01-12-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukawi1 (Post 4572534)
You probably need to select the boot device with your BIOS.
It will depend on the BIOS which key will do this, but you should press it while the BIOS POST is displaying.
On some pressing F12 will do it. F10 for some others...
Some BIOS's will have a pretty picture displaying rather than the actual text of the POST, sometimes pressing TAB will show the POST display, which may show you what key you need to press to access the boot menu.

Yes, I tried with that selection(f12->Boot Menu->CDROM) but that't not helping me to boot from CDROM & its going back to login screen of Ubuntu.

fukawi1 01-12-2012 01:48 AM

IF i recall correctly, and its been a long time since i installed windows, but i THINK windows brings up an option where you have to press enter to boot from the CD. You may have to pay fairly close attention to the boot process after you reboot, i dont know how much time you get to press enter.

Failing that something might be wrong with the CD. To test try booting into it with another computer if you can.

Abhish 01-12-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukawi1 (Post 4572540)
IF i recall correctly, and its been a long time since i installed windows, but i THINK windows brings up an option where you have to press enter to boot from the CD. You may have to pay fairly close attention to the boot process after you reboot, i dont know how much time you get to press enter.

Failing that something might be wrong with the CD. To test try booting into it with another computer if you can.

I'll try to install windows xp instead & see if it works. But, I think grub is not reading windows cd. So, do I need to remove it?? I tried to look around few similar question but the answers are for dual boot(windows & linux), where in "fixmbr" is the solution. But what if, if I want to install a fresh copy of windows??

fukawi1 01-12-2012 02:08 AM

Grub doesn't read the CD, the BIOS does, before grub.
Either the CD isn't bootable or is damaged, something is mis-configured in the BIOS, or you are missing the "Press Enter to boot from CD" text when the BIOS tries to boot from the CD.

I believe windows 7 is a DVD, i would assume any computer running win7 would have a DVD drive, but if by chance you are using a DVD in a CD drive, then it wont work either.

Abhish 01-12-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukawi1 (Post 4572549)
Grub doesn't read the CD, the BIOS does, before grub.
Either the CD isn't bootable or is damaged, something is mis-configured in the BIOS, or you are missing the "Press Enter to boot from CD" text when the BIOS tries to boot from the CD.

I believe windows 7 is a DVD, i would assume any computer running win7 would have a DVD drive, but if by chance you are using a DVD in a CD drive, then it wont work either.

Oh...ok!! and I got this message "Boot from CD..." & Pressing enter or not, is not making any difference its still going back to the same screen. And Yes, I have a DVD drive, and a Win7 DVD. I think I'll have to find another Windows7 or xp DVD & check if it works, or I'll run the DVD on some other computer. I'll let you know tommorow if that's working or not. Thanks for your time & advice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.