Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have a really weird and annoying problem with audio in Linux. I run two installs of Mandrake 10, one on a central file and music server (for the house) and one on my own desktop. Now on my own desktop Mplayer neatly plays both wma and mp3 (and all other) files. Totem used to play mp3 and wma files as well, but from one day to the next it suddenly quit on me and now only produces static when I play wma files (mp3 works fine). On the other machine, a reverse condition has taken place. On this one Totem plays both formats perfectly and Mplayer mangles the wma files. I really don't want to use Mplayer on my desktop because its gui has poor support for playlists (or I'm missing an option to save my own lists in an easy gui-based way), so I would love to get Totem to play my wma files again. The weird part is that both systems just stopped playing wma files with their respective players from one minute to the next. No reboots, no changes in anything. Does anyone have experience with this problem and a solution to it? Or can someone point me to a definitive guide to Linux and Codecs so I can fix this problem manually?
Thanks in advance,
PS. My system is Mandrake 10 (2.6 kernel) and KDE 3.2
Does it actually mess up the file, or does it just spit static when it plays it? Can you use any other media player to play these file formats, or do all media players behave the same way? You could have a jacked up codec comeplace.
Thanks for the reply. No, the wma files themselves are not damaged, but one the one machine totem only produces static in stead of music, and on the other machine mplayer produces this result. Switching to Totem on the machine where mplayer refuses to play wma solves it there, and switching to Mplayer on the machine where Totem mangles the wma files helps, what I'm looking for is a way to convince both players to play the files on both machines.
Did you download these media players by yourself, or did they come with your distro? If you downloaded them yourself (or even if you didn't) try un-installing their respective packages and reinstalling them. Check to make sure you've got the latest versions of both media players.
I know these are generic suggestions, but I'm really stumped. I hope just reloading the packages helps.
Thanks for the help, I tried urpme->urpmi'ing (sorry for the introduction of a new verb here ) the packages but it doesn't seem to have an effect. I did notice that konqueror identifies the wma files as asf files. It didn't occur to me before but perhaps this is a misinterpretation issue and not a matter of 'both are MS formats anyway'-issue. I am going to look into that, in the meantime thanks for the help.