Thanks for the advice Bhert - on that page I found a link to any2dvd which sounds PERFECT. However being a total newbie the instructions to install sound quite confusing!
## Installation instructions ##
* Copy the files 'any2vob' & 'any2dvd' into your $PATH somewhere.
'/usr/bin' or '/usr/local/bin'
* Copy the files 'any2vob.1' & 'any2dvd.1' into your $MANPATH somewhere.
'/usr/share/man' or /usr/local/share/man'
* After installation, type `any2dvd -h` or `man any2dvd` for a help page.
* any2vob - Encodes the movies
* any2dvd - Calls on any2vob to encode the movies, then creates the DVD menus & burns to DVD
* Any2vob can be used as a standalone tool seperate from any2dvd, for creation of .VOB files only, type `any2vob -h` or `man any2vob` for a help page.
EEKKKK..........Is there an easier way to explain this? I know for a fact that the above is probably really simple to someone with a bit of nous! But once this is installed it's goodbye windows for good!
Thanks again for any advice!