Here is how I finally fixed this issue: I used the Export option under tools in the original Thunderbird to export the address books to a thumb drive, then imported them to the new install of Thunderbird on the other computer. This was much simpler for me then trying to do something in the Terminal window.
Since I started this quest I have installed Mint 18 and used this export/import to move the address books to the Mint copy of Thunderbird. This computer now is dual boot to either Ubuntu 14 or Mint 18 and both have up to date address books. Chrome is my current browser of choice in both setups, but I am trying Vivaldi. Firefox is very slow, and rather then try to fix it I just switched.