Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Just how do you get Thunderbird 0.8 to run? I have run tar and tried to run thunderbird from terminal. Nothing happens! Clicking on the executable files doesn't do anything either. I'm running Suse 9.1.
Well, I've never used SuSe (I've always used Slackware) and I don't use Thunderbird (I've always used Evolution), but....
I saw your post and downloaded the file thunderbird-0.8-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz to see if I could get it to work.
From a terminal shell, I executed...
bash-3.00$ tar -xzvf thunderbird-0.8-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz
Then I had a "thunderbird" directory.
I changed into that directory using...
bash-3.00$ cd thunderbird
And then I ran thunderbird using...
It seemed to start up fine for me. I'm not sure if maybe you had a problem with the untar'ing (since it's actually a gzip file that needs to be unzipped first, but that's what the "z" option does in the tar command you see above).
At the very least try the above commands in a terminal shell and see if it works that way. If not then post back that it doesn't and I'm sure folks will be able to help you further.
Well, you've definately got all the right components. If you're still having trouble, why not go the GUI way to check it out? Browse to thunderbird directory and click on the thunderbird shell script and make sure it's launching. Hell, as long as you're there, drag it to the desktop and create a link for future launchings.
I've seen the issues you are reporting (the xdm issues) when something is installed as one user and then tried to be run as another (at least in one instance I saw when googling).
when you did the untarring what user where you logged in as?
what user do you normally run X as? (please tell me it's not root)
you don't need to change to root when untarring the archive, in fact, doing so will muck permissions up IIRC.
What I did when I said what I did in the second post in this thread was:
downloaded the tar.gz archive (the thunderbird app)
I always log into X (startx) under my normal username (not root)
i just opened a console in X (for me i use gnome and i like xterm so i just use *Actions* *Run Application* then type xterm to get a console.
in my home directory /home/bob is where i issued the untarring command i mentioned
then just issued: cd thunderbird
and then just ./thunderbird
seems like you may be having permission issues.
again, please be sure you are not running X as root...that's bad..running anything as root is bad...it's like running windows...which is bad.
sorry my words are so convoluted, but i'm not sure exactly what you're doing (and as what user) and (again) I'm not a SuSE user so please forgive me if my advice is not appropriate for SuSE, just trying to offer what worked for me (using Slackware).
I did a bit of Googling and found your problem/possible solution at http://www.netsys.com/suse-linux-e/2.../msg03384.html
Follow the thread - looks like you have to remove the authorizations with xhost + and then, once you've run it once, you can turn the authorizations back on with xhost - and it should run fine thereafter.