LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
castratroi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Text too big for the screen ( prob not the resolution)


Hi,

I have tried searching for threads similar to my problem but haven't been able to find something exactly defining what i need.

The problem is that I installed RedHat 9 recently, but the screen resolution is too big. I have changed resolution but that doesn't work. Even the mouse doesn't scroll to the end of the page.

I might not be being too descriptive here. But I hope someone gets what I am trying to say.

I am new to Linux and to posting anything on forums. So plz guys help me out here.

Thanks

Castatroi
 
Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
carl0ski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne, Victoria Australia
Distribution: Support those that support you :)
Posts: 872
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by castratroi
Hi,

I have tried searching for threads similar to my problem but haven't been able to find something exactly defining what i need.

The problem is that I installed RedHat 9 recently, but the screen resolution is too big. I have changed resolution but that doesn't work. Even the mouse doesn't scroll to the end of the page.

I might not be being too descriptive here. But I hope someone gets what I am trying to say.

I am new to Linux and to posting anything on forums. So plz guys help me out here.

Thanks

Castatroi

definetly not very descriptive


Is the Mouse Pointer Huge?

try ALT+CTRL + (+ on the Numpad)

(- changes resolution backward + forward)

are the icons normal compared to text?

Is Only the Text Huge?

What does Prob Not Resolution mean?
 
Old 01-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
castratroi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the reply carl0ski.

Let me try to be more descriptive this time.

The mouse pointer is large too .... but that is something trivial as compared to what my real problem is.

The problem is that when i open anything ( like internet explorer, or Kdevelop for instance ) I cannot go to the end of the page. As with Kdevelop, if i cannot get to the part where i have to specify the name of the project then i am not able to do anything at all.

By "Problem not resolution" i mean to say here that its not the pixels that r causing the problem. If I change the resolution from say 640*800 to 1024*2400 ( or whatever) this doesnot change the way files r displayed, and i still cant get the fonts to be smaller.

Let me clarify one thing here, I am using the Generic monitor type bcoz my AOC Monitor is not supported by Linux. And when I ask Linux to get my montior ( which it takes to be AOC Spectrum), the Xwindows doesnot start.

I hope I am more clear this time.

Thanks

castratroi
 
Old 01-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
carl0ski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne, Victoria Australia
Distribution: Support those that support you :)
Posts: 872
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by castratroi
Thanks for the reply carl0ski.

Let me try to be more descriptive this time.

The mouse pointer is large too .... but that is something trivial as compared to what my real problem is.

The problem is that when i open anything ( like internet explorer, or Kdevelop for instance ) I cannot go to the end of the page. As with Kdevelop, if i cannot get to the part where i have to specify the name of the project then i am not able to do anything at all.

By "Problem not resolution" i mean to say here that its not the pixels that r causing the problem. If I change the resolution from say 640*800 to 1024*2400 ( or whatever) this doesnot change the way files r displayed, and i still cant get the fonts to be smaller.

Let me clarify one thing here, I am using the Generic monitor type bcoz my AOC Monitor is not supported by Linux. And when I ask Linux to get my montior ( which it takes to be AOC Spectrum), the Xwindows doesnot start.

I hope I am more clear this time.

Thanks

castratroi

Where you choose what monitor you want.
choose custom .
and printed on the back of your moniter you will find ratings and numbers.

fill in the custom with the numbers on the back of you monitor


PS for someone reason if you use Mandriva like i do,
when i changed monitor with the wizard it wrote
monitor1 instead of monitor0 in xorg.conf.

when you change it check Server Layout and Monitor numbers match (causes x not to start)
 
Old 01-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #5
castratroi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi,

How can i check if the Server Layout and the Monitor number match?

Castratroi
 
Old 01-24-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
carl0ski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne, Victoria Australia
Distribution: Support those that support you :)
Posts: 872
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 30
In the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

towards the end you'll see these (similar since your monitor model and video settings are different.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0" 
    Model "Compaq"
EndSection
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "ATI Graphics Adapter connector 1"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    #Option "backingstore"
EndSection
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Screen "Screen0"
    Screen "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
EndSection


Monitor needs to match in both.
 
Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 AM   #7
castratroi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0ski
In the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

towards the end you'll see these (similar since your monitor model and video settings are different.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0" 
    Model "Compaq"
EndSection
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "ATI Graphics Adapter connector 1"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    #Option "backingstore"
EndSection
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Screen "Screen0"
    Screen "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
EndSection


Monitor needs to match in both.

Thanks a lot for the help. I have tried this out as well but the resolution is still causing a problem. Someone told me that i should install fedora core 4 and it will automatically detect my monitor. Any suggestions ?? What if i install and it still doesnt work ?
 
Old 01-25-2006, 03:45 AM   #8
carl0ski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne, Victoria Australia
Distribution: Support those that support you :)
Posts: 872
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by castratroi
Thanks a lot for the help. I have tried this out as well but the resolution is still causing a problem. Someone told me that i should install fedora core 4 and it will automatically detect my monitor. Any suggestions ?? What if i install and it still doesnt work ?
no idea
Just reinstall the version you already have

choose a

Generic 1024 monitor
and set a resolution of 640 800 or 1024

that way you'll have the correct setting from the start
Dont use the AUTODETECTED monitor.


otherwise install a newer version
FC4 or SuSe Mandriva etc
 
Old 01-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
castratroi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Well I did install Fedora and the resolution is fine . So basically my problem is resolved. It still did not detect my montior. So when specifying the monitor I set it as a 'Generic Monitor 1024x768" and then changed the resolution to 1024x768 as well ( during initial setup). So now i have a GUI which i like even if it doesnt change ( i havent tried changing it).

Thanks for the help carl0ski.

castratroi
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modifying GUI screen resolution thru text jenson Red Hat 1 03-18-2005 04:33 PM
1)nvidia installer freezes (psble prob w/ gcc?) and 2) can't change screen resolution DJCF Linux - Hardware 1 02-10-2005 05:23 PM
text runs off-screen in 80x25 resolution pafrica Linux - Newbie 0 12-25-2004 02:58 AM
screen resolution?! Everything is so big ?:[ prodann Slackware 3 11-18-2003 04:59 AM
How do you change the resolution for your text screen ? lostboy Linux - General 3 03-21-2003 09:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration