LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
ekai125
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
testdisk inquires


Hi.. i need help regarding unknown mistake i do while processing testdisk command. below i attach screenshot my file system, lately i was trying to recover my lost partition, it seem work but i only can watch my original files. Now only left useless files. my question, could i recovered back all files in this screenshot that appear unknown file. This partition actually windows xp, before it work properly, after i do some assignment all file is freeze. and i were hope i can get back my xp without formatting this partition. Thank you for viewing

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8...reenshotpc.png
 
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekai125 View Post
help regarding unknown mistake i do while processing testdisk command. (..) This partition actually windows xp, before it work properly, after i do some assignment all file is freeze.
"unknown mistake" / "some assignment": what did you do?
"processing testdisk command": what did you do? Did you enable testdisk logging on the command line? If you did, can you *attach* the log file?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ekai125 View Post
i was trying to recover my lost partition
Did you make a backup before recovery?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ekai125 View Post
could i recovered back all files in this screenshot that appear unknown file.
If you have an installation or restore disk then I would not bother restoring system files like "ntldr" as they can be reinstalled. Your "Windows" and "Program Files" directories are no longer recognized as a directory but they only contain applications which are expendable: can be reinstalled too. What is bad is that I spot a "testdisk.log" in the partition which means you mounted the partition in read-write mode *and* tried to run testdisk from the partition to recover from somewhere before making this post.

My advice to you is to think hard about which files you need to recover. If you're new to recovery then it will cause stress and aggravation while reinstalled OS files is faster. If you can not or do not want to make a backup then save your "Documents and Settings" directory elsewhere, cut your losses and reinstall the OS. If you want to recover files please first make a backup of the partition to a file on a physically different hard disk.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
ekai125
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
"unknown mistake" / "some assignment": what did you do?
"processing testdisk command": what did you do? Did you enable testdisk logging on the command line? If you did, can you *attach* the log file?
What is fresh in my head, i done image creation. after i finish then reboot, and i couldn't see my files when mounting. new files i didn't see before coming to my screen, i were assume that files came from image creation.i do enable the logging, but no idea where the file is located. i try to access files at /dev/window/log and when open is show nothing

Quote:

Did you make a backup before recovery?
no i don't. i thought i can recovery the partition and proceed to next step

Quote:

If you have an installation or restore disk then I would not bother restoring system files like "ntldr" as they can be reinstalled. Your "Windows" and "Program Files" directories are no longer recognized as a directory but they only contain applications which are expendable: can be reinstalled too. What is bad is that I spot a "testdisk.log" in the partition which means you mounted the partition in read-write mode *and* tried to run testdisk from the partition to recover from somewhere before making this post.

My advice to you is to think hard about which files you need to recover. If you're new to recovery then it will cause stress and aggravation while reinstalled OS files is faster. If you can not or do not want to make a backup then save your "Documents and Settings" directory elsewhere, cut your losses and reinstall the OS. If you want to recover files please first make a backup of the partition to a file on a physically different hard disk.
if no solution to recovered back i do formatting. since only valuable data on my document and setting and i can copy and save to other partition using testdisk
 
Old 07-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekai125 View Post
if no solution to recovered back i do formatting.
With the information provided I think that would be the least painful most efficient solution.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disk recovery using testdisk Goodwater Linux - Newbie 2 06-28-2010 08:21 PM
Suse and Testdisk xix Linux - Software 1 08-05-2005 10:29 AM
testdisk Furlinastis Linux - Software 2 08-03-2005 11:40 PM
Testdisk documentation suguru Linux - Software 0 09-17-2004 11:48 AM
Newbie inquires: Best of the best & Must Haves Pleiades Linux - Newbie 3 04-06-2004 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration