LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,363

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
No, you didn't, but glad you solved your problem. Since the mystery problem was solved/caused by a system service, how about sharing the answer with everyone else?
I just stopped the following services and start them all again,

Code:
apmd,gpm,haldaemon,isdn,mcstrans,setroubleshoot,pcscd,mdmonitor,messagebus,microcode_ctl
And everything is fine now..


I thought the problem was due to the
Code:
gpm
service,but after I started it ,the problem still continued.So I started all the services those were stopped.
 
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,363

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by divyashree View Post
I just stopped the following services and start them all again,

Code:
apmd,gpm,haldaemon,isdn,mcstrans,setroubleshoot,pcscd,mdmonitor,messagebus,microcode_ctl
And everything is fine now..


I thought the problem was due to the
Code:
gpm
service,but after I started it ,the problem still continued.So I started all the services those were stopped.
Sorry guys.

Today the same happens again 5 times.But today I somehow go to tty1 and get the error like this

Code:
 dma_timer_expiry
   dma status == 0x21
What should be the reason behind this ??
 
Old 10-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 18,355

Rep: Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by divyashree View Post
Sorry guys.

Today the same happens again 5 times.But today I somehow go to tty1 and get the error like this

Code:
 dma_timer_expiry
   dma status == 0x21
What should be the reason behind this ??
DMA errors usually indicate a hard drive or controller problem. Which is why I asked for the file source/destination, since if you were copying from one drive to another, it could have been part of the issue.
 
Old 10-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
vipin_jss
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 45

Rep: Reputation: 15
check out the Meamory and PF usage of the system

check out the process just type the command ps -aux and you will get the information or type top just see which process is consuming most memory




http://vipinkrsahu.blogspot.com/
 
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 AM   #20
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,363

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
DMA errors usually indicate a hard drive or controller problem. Which is why I asked for the file source/destination, since if you were copying from one drive to another, it could have been part of the issue.
Actually I made a lvm of 40GB as my Backup drive,this error caused yesterday during the following situations,

1>>While transfering data from root's home dir to that lvm partition

2>>while transfering from lvm partition to external pendrive.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] system hangs at startup (black screen) after updating system ( ATI X200 ) devaj Linux - Newbie 3 05-01-2009 04:49 PM
Opensuse 11.1 - System hangs - Keyboard hangs - Mouse works cvrprakash Linux - Desktop 1 04-07-2009 04:12 AM
System boot hangs at system message bus Mralexb Linux - Desktop 3 10-02-2008 12:51 PM
net driver causes system hangs (keyboard hangs) yjchen Linux - Networking 0 10-21-2004 11:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration